No sound on drivers side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
WHat kind and brand name do you suggest? I'm a big pioneer fan but I might as well go on and replace both front 6.5" ones....I remember my head units and DVD player would make my stock speakers sound perfect, loud, and everything. So I've thought that having a stock radio I just wouldn't be able to get a good sound. What is your opinion on aftermarket 6.5's with the stock radio? You still think it would sound much better?

I don't know about stock radio with aftermarket speakers. My stock head unit died a LONG time ago (first the CD player went, then we got an aftermarket one for it). I inherited the truck from my dad, and it already had a base model Pioneer head unit in there. Once I started driving it, I put Polk db651 speakers in all four doors. Great sound. Not much bass if you like hip hop or rap, but I'm a rock guy, so they do ok for me (I'm still thinking about getting a small sub to get that extra oomph). I added a used JBL amp to get more power to them. They stay pretty clear quality sound at higher volumes, they've held up great so far. I think they're 3 or 4 years old.

I would recommend getting a h/u too, just because they make some now with REALLY nice features, and an amplifier makes a world of difference with the speakers as far as volume goes. You get much better sound at high volume. Although, if your stock unit is holding up fine, it's really up to you. Another added bonus of making the swap though it that once you take out the separate CD player below the HVAC controls, you can put in a delete pocket, which is nice to have IMO.

I say just go to an audio place and see what you like. It all depends what music you listen to and how you like it. There's a wide range of performance and price for 6.5" speakers. I'm definitely not an expert, but I do know that if you like quality sound, a good setup will make a world of difference in your ride.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
ok so i got the door speaker working, i took the panel off and the speaker was held by one loose screw, i took it out and i think it was just one of the spade connectors loose, there not stock speakers up fromt, there aftermarket on the stock wiring, and the h/u is aftermarket. forget the speakers, kenwood dual somethings mabye. that rear speaker looks like a pitfa to get to. those are 6/9's right? i'ma gonna pick new ones up before i even start tearing into it. but it sounds way better now that i have my subs properly tuned and 3/4 speakers working.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
those are 6/9's right?

If your talking about the ones in the pillar, they're 4X6. There is a thread somewhere on here about modding a 6X9 into those speaker positions. Well worth doing this. More choice of speakers in a 6X9, & they sound better 'cause they move more air. I prefer round speakers, though. When I was younger I was into the SPL thing (Sound Pressure Level) Now I prefer SQ (Sound Quality). If you listen to a lot different types of music, I have found that a company that makes great speakers, called 'Concept'. A little more expensive than the average auto audio or box store speakers, but a huge difference in sound quality. While speakers are a personal preference, I've found that these speakers can handle big power, & volume, and yet sound good wether I'm listening to Hair Metal, Punk, Jazz, Blues, or hard core Thrash. I've had this brand of speaker in my last 4 trucks.
If you want to spend a LOT on speakers, try 'Beyma's', or 'Focals'. But, at up to a thousand $$$ for one pair of 6.5" rounds, plus the associated upper-end equipment to run 'em, ya gotta be REALLY serious about your music. Either that, or more money than brains, & need the bragging rights. After playing guitar for years, & being one of the guys with the BIG stereo, I can't tell (hear? huh? whadyasay? 'scuse me?) a whole lotta difference.
For wiring diagrams, both simple & advanced, check out a co. called 'www.crutchfield.com' They sell all types of car-audio equipment, & the wiring diagrams are free.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
WHat kind and brand name do you suggest? I'm a big pioneer fan but I might as well go on and replace both front 6.5" ones....I remember my head units and DVD player would make my stock speakers sound perfect, loud, and everything. So I've thought that having a stock radio I just wouldn't be able to get a good sound. What is your opinion on aftermarket 6.5's with the stock radio? You still think it would sound much better?

I like ALPINE stuff. Easy to use, & they are one of the few Co.s that advertise true specs. Plus, because of the placement of the H/U in these trucks, you can turn the display off at night, so that it's not so distracting.

Canadian

Reaction score
Yes, way easier than taking off the pillar panels - but what the hey, the harder the more satisfying, right? After looking at that article, (since my pillars are both cracked, so I've been looking for replacements anyway) I think I will try my hand at making the original slots big enough to accomodate 6X9 speakers (thus keep the factory look), and just cut the metal behind it to make it work.

When I get the spare time.......