no reverse...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im new to this forum, I figured I would try and educate myself as much as possible about my truck. I have a 1990 chevy k1500 4x4, 5.7 TBI, 1400 stall converter. recently my stepdad and I rebuilt the transmission (700r4) in our shop. new clutch packs, 'vette servo, the whole works. except for the valve body separator plate. 2 of the check balls had wallored out the separator plate a little bit, we didn't replace in. ever since the rebuild I have had no reverse in my truck, but I have all of the forward gears and they shift nice and firm without any problems. so after some research, we decided it would be a good idea to replace the separator plate in the valve body. so I did that today. after getting everything put back together and taking her out for a test drive, I still had no reverse. I guess I wouldn't say that I have NO reverse, but it doesn't completely catch/grab reverse. I can still backup (hardly and under no load such as a slight backing up the slightest incline). this is the same problem as before replacing the separator plate. could the reverse clutch pack be fried? any information would be helpful!! oh and reverse will, however, work just fine in 4wd low. 2wd and 4wd high is where it barely grabs.

Last edited:

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
that actually helped a bunch! I suppose ill just have to take apart the transmission and check everything out and find my problem....again.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that actually helped a bunch! I suppose ill just have to take apart the transmission and check everything out and find my problem....again.

Well i guess it's good it helped but not so good that you have to tear it apart again....

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
eh, I can think of it as another educational activity haha it will be the 3rd time I have to do this...so this will be the 4th tranny rebuild.... when I bought the truck, it was used for a lot of towing and the transmission was never taken care of properly, the tranny fluid was black. so I went ahead and flushed out the transmission and put all new fluid in thinking that would make it all better. I was wrong, a few hundred miles later the tranny went out. so after that I bought a "rebuilt" 700r4 off of craigslist, turns out the guy who rebuilt it only replaced the one or two parts that needed it and not anything else. again, the tranny went out. I rebuilt the 2nd one myself (with much help from my stepdad) and put it in. keep in mind that this is now on transmission 3. and ever since then, it has never quite caught in reverse. it will reverse, but its basically just a second neutral. and now I have to take it back out and tear into it again... that's my transmission story, rant over

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Could the linkage not be adjusted correctly? Does the gear indicator line up with the OD in drive perfectly? Mine is kimda like yours. Has to be in the perfect "reverse groove" on the shifter to go into reverse, otherwise it either stays in park or goes into neutral cause my shifter has a bit of play in it. Either that, or it sounds like your clutch pack idea, not grabbing firmly enough.

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm...when I had the valve body taken apart I checked my shift linkage and kickdown cable setup and it seemed to be just fine but maybe a closer look would be a good idea. ill check it out!

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you replace the reverse piston seals? They are all the way in the bottom of the case. Sounds like a pinched piston seal.