No oil to the top end of a 1989 Chevy Silverado c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HarleyLaws

Reaction score
Connect an accessory oil pressure gauge, find out what the oil pressure REALLY is. The '88--'89 oil pressure sending units for the dash gauge are known high-failure items.
www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1136624

Some folks wind up with plugged filters---the media crushes down and becomes impassible. (Lookin' at you, Fram) But there are reports of crappy filters from other companies, too.

Even Wix is offshoring to China and Poland and God-knows-where, now.

HOW do you know there's no oil to the "top end"? Have you pulled the valve covers and run the engine?
Yes I have. I took the engine apart and cleaned out the oil tubes with a shop vac. And a long wire brush there was sludge in it.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have took the engine apart to make sure there is no sludge in the engine working my way from the bottom to the top. Replacing all sensors and plugs. Along with checking all bearing as I go.
Give a second look to the oil pump pickup. If it was damaged, like if they crushed the pan then replaced it they can knock it loose or bend it up, even kink it and restrict intake. In any case I suppose you'll get a new one with the new pump, but it's a clue.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which oil tubes? Shop vac?
You took the engine apart, heads off, crank, rods?
Pull oil filter, cut open, results? Even if filter is blocked, oil bypasses, then continues to engine.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda going the wrong way. Should be going top to bottom.
Pull the valve covers and clean as much gunk as you can out of the engine. Then pull the intake and clean the sludge out of the lifter valley. Then pull the pan and repeat. Make sure you clean the oil pump pickup screen. Purple power is great for removing sludge off the inside of the valve covers and oil pan but don't use it inside the engine. Once you get it back together refill the engine with new oil and filter. I would use cheap oil because it's not gonna be in there long. Run the engine at idle for about an hour then remove the filter and toss it. Install a new filter and a quart of oil and run the engine gently for about 100 miles and do another complete oil change with good oil. If your motor has a lot of miles on it Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 would be the best oil to use.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I have. I took the engine apart and cleaned out the oil tubes with a shop vac. And a long wire brush there was sludge in it.
You gotta get more detailed what you're doing here.

op, going into one and just knocking everything loose to float around is not necessarily a good idea.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillGen55