No oil to the top end of a 1989 Chevy Silverado c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HarleyLaws

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Harley. I am a proud owner of a 1989 Chevy Silverado C 1500 truck is not getting oil to the top end. Making a ticking noise. About to replace the oil pump. To see if that’ll help with the oil pressure and sendin oil to the top end. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to do before I replace the oil pump?

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how many miles? i doubt oil pump is your problem, probably worn bearings

HarleyLaws

Reaction score
On it is over 200,000 on the tac. But I was told the motor has been replaced with another. Same type and everything.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect an accessory oil pressure gauge, find out what the oil pressure REALLY is. The '88--'89 oil pressure sending units for the dash gauge are known high-failure items.
www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1136624

Some folks wind up with plugged filters---the media crushes down and becomes impassible. (Lookin' at you, Fram) But there are reports of crappy filters from other companies, too.

Even Wix is offshoring to China and Poland and God-knows-where, now.

HOW do you know there's no oil to the "top end"? Have you pulled the valve covers and run the engine?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's been run dry, the damage is done. Send it to a machine shop. They'll find and clear the plugged oil passage and replace the oil starved bearings.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't have to be a "plugged oil passage".

Failed oil-pump driveshaft, stuck-open oil pump pressure relief valve, plugged oil pump pickup screen, collapsed oil filter media, popped-out oil gallery plug behind the timing cover, etc.

As said..."I" would start by assessing the actual oil pressure on a pressure gauge I trusted, and--most likely--would then go to a fresh oil filter and see if things improved.

The amount of damage kinda depends on how long it's been run with no oil on those parts.

HarleyLaws

Reaction score
It has not ran in month when I found out it hasn’t been getting oil to the top end. I checked it every day because I bought it used straight off someone. I have slowly been working on it. Sense I am moving next year. I need it for the move.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Change filter to good brand, change oil, install good accurate mechanical gauge. As mentioned above. Test results determine where to go from there. Hot engine at idle minimum, minimum 6 psi. I would prefer more personally.
Unless it's knocking, making abnormal noise, try some basic trouble shooting first, spending your money wisely.
Good luck.