no go:(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so halfway home yesturday i noticed it wouldnt shift to overdrive on the highway and i was stuck at 50. this was about a mile from my exit. once i got off and slowed down it was stuck at 30 and the rpms were around 3k. i went to cut across to turn in my neighborhood and it just reved up. i about got stuck in middle of road. i have no gears at all. theres this weird clanking noise from tranny now and theres fluid all under my truck on the t case and rear end somhow. i checked the tranny fluid and it was in the mark where it should be :/ i havent looked into it too much because it was hot yestuday but im hoping its nothing serious that happend. i pulld over in my neighborhood to avoid anymore damage and had to get towed home bymy buddys ford :'(. are there any seals that are known to go out on 4l60es? i figured the gov bomb in my rear would blow before the tranny guess i was wrong. is there anyway it could be the t case gone or does it sound like a tranny. i can get it to move but it barely moves and the rpms are high so i didnt do that.

to add to it while checking tranny level i noticed oneof my manifold bolts was missing and another was halfway hanging out broken. i dont get how that happens. looks like headers will be a pain in the ass too now :( all this has to happen when i just found a front 6inch procomp lift for 300 i was going to get. i guess its a sign she dont want anymore lift haha.

trying to figure my options without spending all my money ive made working the past 3 months lol i just graduated and work 40 hr weeks at a ford dealer so i have money but id like to do this as cheap as i can because i dont make all that much

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey its good to see another VA guy here, I thought I was the only 1. ok first off header bolts are known to back out, there are special bolts u can buy just for them that have a odd shaped E clip that will not allow them to back out. Now about the tranny, depending on how many miles u got on it, I had the same issue 1 day. I was on the freeway and went to pass some1 and when I gave it a lil gas the engine reved up but i started slowing down. I ended up droping the tranny pan and changing the tranny filter. worked great ever since. now when my tranny went out it would jump from 1st to 3rd, I had no 2nd or 4th gear. I hope this helps a lil

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your cheapest option is a used junkyard trans. They are $125 at the pick n pull here w/$50 core. Normal yards run more. Pulling it yourself an dropping at the trans shop for a rebuild will be about $700ish

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
theres a hose on the top of tranny and it looks liek it all came outa there. dont know if it has a special purpose to relive pressure or somthing but thats what i found looking at it today. my friends dad told me to add some more fluid and see how it goes. ive got my moms car to drive to work so im in no hurry to fix it but i need to figure how much its going to cost me and if its worth it to spend on it. it has 165k on it. the manifold bolts didnt back out they broke. no idea how theyd break. never even touched em. just trying to see my options on what to do in my situation. i cant justify spending 1500 on a tranny for it :/ just too much for me for how old and what it is

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya that hose is where any extra will come out if you overfill it or it gets too hot. If its full of fluid an still not moving about the only other thing you can try is the lucas slip stop additive stuff. I just can't think of the actual name of it right now

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its low on fluid and i got 2 quarts to add to it tomorrow. if i have to i can take it to work and rebuild it there. my boss said it was fine. i am thinking of adding a trans temp guage on the pilliar when its all said an done and adding a seperate cooler for the transmission up front too, would rebuilding the trans be all that hard?

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i put fluid in it today and drove it around for a lil bit. still dont trust it. i left my chain on the bumper and in my neighbors driveway when i was turning around it fell off and slug up and put some dents in the hood -_- now i have a hook imprint. i cant tell its its still comming out the tube so im going to clean it off tomorrow and drive it again and see

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Doesn't sound good. The hose in the top is just a vent, some fluid would come out, but it shouldn't come pouring out. I'd recommend washing (pressure washer is best) the underside, then running it to see where it came from. The oil cooler lines along the passenger side can empty a transmission quickly and make a big mess too.

Good luck!