Newb Suburban questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I just bought my 1993 C2500 Suburban, and I've come across a few things I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but I cannot figure out. Help the newb....

1. My truck doesn't have the barn-door style rear doors. It has the 2-piece setup where the glass flips up and the tailgate flips down. Is there a way to pop the rear glass without having to stick the key in the latch every time? There's a switch on the dash that pops it, but unless someone is pulling up on the glass while the switch is being pushed, it doesn't pop it. Bonus points if someone knows how to wire it into the keyless entry I plan on installing soon!

2. My rear HVAC controls work differently than the ones I recall in my Dad's 93 K1500 Suburban. Instead of having the 3 knobs for the rear (Fan Speed, temp, and port selection) like I remember his having, mine only has one knob that controls fan speed. Same in the rear. I would ASSUME this would mean that the rear passengers SHOULD get the same air temp that the front passengers get, but mine only blows cold air in the back. Is that right? If not, does anyone have any troubleshooting / repair tips?

3. My rear defroster doesn't appear to be working. The light on the dash comes on, but nothing happens out back. I found one connection on the lift strut broken and fixed it, but still nothing. It's interesting that the light comes on because you'd think the system would short if that was the issue, but what do I know? Again, looking for any advice on troubleshooting / fixing.

4. This one really isn't Suburban specific, but my cruise works intermittently. Sometimes it works just fine. Other times it never comes on. When it does work, it doesn't cut out. I did some research and saw the multi-function switch is a common culprit, but I was looking for advice before I throw parts at it.

Thanks!

Mike

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I solved one issue. The cruise control fault was due to a bad brake light switch. Thankfully this is the clipless style switch, so $20 for the ACDelco part and 5 minutes of my time and my cruise is back in action!

Mike

Last edited:

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
If you are getting cold AC in the back but not the front, you probably have a dirty evaporator up front.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has barn doors and it's a 96 so I might not be much help. It seems like the rear hatch should be popping open when you hit that switch which makes me think maybe the lift struts are weak. The HVAC controls in my rig have three knobs. Is it possible someone substituted a different control panel?

Sort of off topic but I am not satisfied with either rear door option on these trucks. I miss the tailgate body on my old square body suburban.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are getting cold AC in the back but not the front, you probably have a dirty evaporator up front.

Thanks for the reply! I'm actually getting perfectly functioning HVAC from the front. Problem is the rear ONLY gives cold air.

Mike

Last edited:

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cnt say for sure but I've had to replace the heater hoses on my burb they were leaking, works just as it should.
The rear glass should unlock when you hit the button if not I'd spray say wd40 it may be sticky and not releasing.
Cnt help with the rear defroster, sry, sometime I press mine and it lights up and works other times the light will stay on either way and only turn off if I press the ac, it's weird an I've never really looked into it but I should now.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would there be a separate heater core for the rear air in the Suburban? Check behind the passenger side panel in the cargo area. If there is a heater core, it should have a damper and motor actuator to divert flow to or away from the core. It could be stuck.

The hatch on my 98 Tahoe pops up about an inch when using the dash switch. Like Garrett suggested, try using some oil or white lithium grease on the latch mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would there be a separate heater core for the rear air in the Suburban? Check behind the passenger side panel in the cargo area. If there is a heater core, it should have a damper and motor actuator to divert flow to or away from the core. It could be stuck.

Good call. I just checked Rock Auto and...yep! There IS a separate heater core. So yeah, it could be that the blend door over it is stuck, or maybe someone bypassed it in a past life? Not sure. Gotta look now and see how it's supposed to be plumbed/routed/powered.

The hatch on my 98 Tahoe pops up about an inch when using the dash switch. Like Garrett suggested, try using some oil or white lithium grease on the latch mechanism.

Good call on lubing the latch mechanism on the hatch. I'll give it a shot. Struts are brand new and strong, but the glass doesn't 'pop' at all. It unlocks, sure, but if someone isn't actively pulling on the glass when you hit the switch on the dash, it won't come up.

The HVAC controls in my rig have three knobs. Is it possible someone substituted a different control panel?

Not sure. Like I said, what I'm used to in a 93 is 3 knobs, but I know my Suburban isn't quiet spec'd like Dad's was. As another example, mine doesn't have a tach but his did. Odd. Both are/were Silverado. Mine is just a single knob, though. I can't even find a pic of what it looks like on Google to show it.

Mike

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As you have seen there is a separate heater core for the rear. There is a vacuum controlled valve in the engine compartment that allows coolant to flow to the rear. Not sure if yours and mine are the same but there is a vacuum solenoid on the firewall to the right if the coolant reservoir. There should be a vacuum hose that runs over the intake to that solenoid then from there a second vacuum line that runs to a valve on the rear coolant line. You can disconect these supply and return hoses to flush both the front and rear heater cores.

Kirth Gersen

Reaction score
"Is there a way to pop the rear glass without having to stick the key in the latch every time?"

My 94 K-Blazer started having same problem couple years ago. I dont think it's the gas lift cylinders (but I could be wrong). I suspect it's some weakened spring in the latch mechanism in the lower half tailgate.
It's annoying, but not enough to make me disassemble the latch & tailgate interior trim to figure it out.
So many of the smaller parts are hard-to-find or discontinued, that what I think might be a 2hr job turns into a multi-day ordeal while I hunt parts on internet.