new tranny speedo, and odometer don't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Pull the speed sensor out and see if there is a reluctor ring in there. Thats what i would start with seeing how they just replaced the trans.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DRAC started in 92 with the needle style gauges. His 90 would have a vehicle speed sensor buffer built into the "moonie" cluster. Not saying that the pinched wiring scenario wouldn't cause a problem, just saying that he won't find a DRAC behind the glove box.

Skylark is it built on the cluster? I have never messed with one of those. Does it work the same way? A cluster swap would be a quick test. The RPM gauge not working is what is throwing me away from speed sensor. Does the RPM signal go straight to the cluster as well? Could be a pinched wire in the bellhousing also.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Please re-read the post - he never said anything about a tach. He said the speedometer and odometer are not working. Both of these would work off the same signal. 88-90 don't come with a tach anyway, just the "moonie" cluster with speedo/no tach. And yes, as said earlier, 88-91 no separate DRAC, built into the cluster.

Richard

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a similar problem. My odo and trip both stopped working. Still got the speedo though. Curious to see your outcome. Weird thing is that my trip meter reads 5 miles now and I reset it to zero about a year ago shortly after it stopped working.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cool i appreciate all your help guys, ima pull the sensor at the tranny to see if i see the reluctor ring, and after ima pulling the cluster out if everything is good there.

Keepinitoldskool, My trip meter also marks my mileage very slowly after driving I'm guessing 100 miles it reads like .7

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cool i appreciate all your help guys, ima pull the sensor at the tranny to see if i see the reluctor ring, and after ima pulling the cluster out if everything is good there.

Keepinitoldskool, My trip meter also marks my mileage very slowly after driving I'm guessing 100 miles it reads like .7
Then its reading alot faster than mine. Ive put around 10k on it and it hasnt broke 10 yet lol.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys so back here been off a while, haven't had time to look at the truck been busy with work but the other day i had to drive it since my daily car was in the shop. i hit a nasty area on the freeway where i almost lost control from how bad it was with holes and such and when i get home i park the truck...2 days later there is a PUDDLE and i mean PUDDLE of tranny oil under the truck. could hitting that area on the freeway where my truck bounced up and down really hard forced the driveshaft INTO the tranny and busted a seal? its leaking onto of the speed sensor location