New project truck is home.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, I don’t understand what your response means.
You seemed to be dismissing his truck because of his intention to LS swap. Yes the LS is put into everything that it will fit into because it is cheap and easy to make power. That is the same reason why "everyone" was putting small block Chevys into "everything" no matter the manufacturer back in the day hence my 32 Ford with a Chevy engine comment. At least in his case he is putting a GM engine in a GM vehicle. He could be shoving a Powerstoke, Cummins, 2JZ or a 20R in his truck as well to create a half breed. In this case his truck is the old guy trading in his old engine for the younger, hotter model.

If you care to dismiss it, you can watch his tail lights for a short time and think about how much money and time it would take to catch up only to watch him drive past you again because he made more power, cheaper while getting better fuel mileage.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure what's the deal about guys hating on the LS swap thing. I see absolutely no problems with. It's just the equivalent to, "does it have a 350 in it?" as was alluded.

You go to the Toyota, Miata, Jeep and a bunch of other forums and guys asking about LS swaps. Other forum members that gave done it are like, "hell yeah! Do it. You won't regret it." And they proceed to give advice.

Same question here, and some folks start trashing the idea... it's a friggin GM engine, LOL... actually, a Chevrolet engine to be exact! I find it kinda comical.

I personally think it was GM's gift to the average Joe or Jose or whoever that wants to drop new life on his old Chebby and have some fun with, without pawning the wife and kids. You can spend as little as $500 or much as $10,000 on an engine, with anything in between.

...as @Dropped88 shows, both truck and engine look happy and pretty dang bad a$$!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will admit, I could have gone with an LS swap but, I wanted to see what I could do with my 88 and stick with a TBI. Plus, at the time, I had to pass emissions here (I'm now exempt). I can comfortably say my truck will beat any stock GMT800 5.3 all day long and the 6.0 off the line to 60 MPH. I also spent a lot more than I should have but, it has been, and still is, one hell of an education as opposed to the old SBCs with carb and point ignitions :waytogo:

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LS swaps are great: cheap, efficient, aftermarket support, IMO they sound cool.
550HP all day long with a 6.0L junkyard motor and camshaft with mild head porting. What's not to like?
I still get torn between two schools of thought though:
A nice 6.0L can't be beat for a daily driver.
I get torn when it comes to the point of machine work and stroking the 6.0L to greater heights like a 408 with aftermarket heads. At this point, it seems like a big block build is going to trump the power. A 496 with heads and cam is going to overpower a built 6.0L all day long. A naturally aspirated LS 408 is never going to top 600lb ft on pump gas. That power level is easy with the cubes of a big block.
Now, I start to favor the LS again, thinking to myself I could turbo it at 6.0L displacement from the junkyard after a thorough inspection, heads and cam, but it's a junkyard motor. It could go 50k miles on 7lbs of boost and far out power the hypothetical big block. But when it finally breaks? I'm going to machine it to 408 and add more boost. At that point, if I'd chosen a big block and then turbo'd it, it'd be even more than the 408 with a turbo, and I'm invested the same amount of money one way or the other, but the big block makes more power!
Efficiency is always going to favor the LS. No question.
This hobby is stressful.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m sorry I came off that way. I wasn’t intending to sound like I was dismissing it. I definitely wasn’t hating on the LS. Best line of engines ever made. I just think it’s funny just how many people do this swap. It makes sense why.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m sorry I came off that way. I wasn’t intending to sound like I was dismissing it. I definitely wasn’t hating on the LS. Best line of engines ever made. I just think it’s funny just how many people do this swap. It makes sense why.
I'm there with ya. Sure I get a vette motor in the burb.... actually the 502 or 572ci look convincing. I agree feel like 9 out 10 vehicle get an ls motor. But like the others mentioned just cant beat a chevy motor. But imo it's nice to see somebody pop the hood and have a curve ball rather if it's a stroker, 427, 5.0 furd (only in a furd though) or something else other then an ls. Lol. No offense to anybody jmo

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking forward to watching this one.

Off-topic... how are you liking the LML? I have a stock '15 DRW with 140k and love it.