New power steering pump question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a new power steering pump for my ‘99 K1500 but not sure if I need to get one with EVO or without. I’ve heard horror stories about EVO but not sure. Ordering a Blue Top steering gear as well and they need to know EVO or not. What do you guys think?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They don’t sell the EVO parts anymore, so you’d have to swap it over to the new pump. Or get the GM bypass kit ($75?) or use a 96-under pump and hose or (what I would do) just get the 97+ pump with the bypass already included (photo below).

Just unplug the EVO connector and tie it up somewhere.

You must be registered for see images attach

A non-EVO 1996 and under steering gear bolts up just fine to an EVO equipped truck and gives slightly stiffer steering feel with or without the EVO functioning. They are different part numbers. Visual difference is one has a visible snap ring at the steering shaft connection and the other doesn’t but I forget which is which. I think it’s the <96 where it’s visible.

I put a 96-under Bluetop in my 98 Tahoe with functioning EVO maybe five years ago. Worked just fine and had a nice heavier steering feel. The pump went a year ago and I ditched the EVO for a bypass-equipped pump. I couldn’t tell a difference.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a new power steering pump for my ‘99 K1500 but not sure if I need to get one with EVO or without. I’ve heard horror stories about EVO but not sure. Ordering a Blue Top steering gear as well and they need to know EVO or not. What do you guys think?

You didn't say, so I'll ask...

Do you even have EVO on your vehicle?

If not, the answer's obvious.

If you do, there's a fork in your road and you've a decision to make.

Keep us posted. Ask more questions if you don't know where to turn.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to refer to this recent thread, which reinforces what was said by @east302

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out this thread too, it provides more details about the EVO system (information you may or may not need).

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What's wrong with your current PS pump that you need to replace it?

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don’t sell the EVO parts anymore, so you’d have to swap it over to the new pump. Or get the GM bypass kit ($75?) or use a 96-under pump and hose or (what I would do) just get the 97+ pump with the bypass already included (photo below).

Just unplug the EVO connector and tie it up somewhere.

You must be registered for see images attach

A non-EVO 1996 and under steering gear bolts up just fine to an EVO equipped truck and gives slightly stiffer steering feel with or without the EVO functioning. They are different part numbers. Visual difference is one has a visible snap ring at the steering shaft connection and the other doesn’t but I forget which is which. I think it’s the <96 where it’s visible.

I put a 96-under Bluetop in my 98 Tahoe with functioning EVO maybe five years ago. Worked just fine and had a nice heavier steering feel. The pump went a year ago and I ditched the EVO for a bypass-equipped pump. I couldn’t tell a difference.
Great information…thanks so much!

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You didn't say, so I'll ask...

Do you even have EVO on your vehicle?

If not, the answer's obvious.

If you do, there's a fork in your road and you've a decision to make.

Keep us posted. Ask more questions if you don't know where to turn.
I figured that it had EVO being a ‘99 but your right…do I? I’ll pop the hood and see this afternoon. I really appreciate the help!

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of Saginaw pumps quiet down tremendously with a fluid change. Power steering fluid is rarely, if ever, changed unless there's a leak or a failure.

If you have already changed the fluid, then the issue is most likely in the pump, though it could be something as simple as the EVO valve or pressure control valve having a bit of trash in it. The cost of the pump listed by @east302 is only a bit more than the pump seal kit and EVO delete kit, so unless you are pinching pennies, probably not worth the effort to disassemble and inspect/repair the pump.