Struggling with replacing power steering pump - EVO sensor - 97 Sierra 4.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lydo6fp

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone experienced can provide help on a power steering pump for a 97 Sierra 1500 4.3. Bought a pump that the parts store says fits the vehicle but it doesn't have the right fitting for the EVO sensor. I'm willing to bypass the sensor, but would I need to use a 96 pressure hose? Do you think the 97 pressure hose would fit back there? (Waiting on hoses to arrive). Should I just get a 96 pump and 96 hoses? It doesn't look like the GM EVO delete part would fit into this pump. Dealership says GM doesn't make the parts anymore and I have to defer to the parts store. Im stuck on how to handle this.

You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Use the pre-EVO line with that pump. Pre & post EVO pumps are the same. The only difference is the fitting at the back of the pump where the EVO was attatched. Your new one already has the proper fitting for the pre-97 line.
The elimination kit is just a 180° bent line to get around to the back of the pump & then attaches to the original line where the EVO previously did.
I see that as another place for a leak to develop. The pre-EVO line is one piece from the pump to the S/box.
GM offers the EVO elimination kit instead of new EVOs because they know that the system is problematic.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now will will this make me sacrifice on power steering on the steering power that I have and if so is there a way to upgrade this so I have better steering power that's what I'm worried about too

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So im having the same issue I have a 97.. So explain agine what should I do

What do you mean "Same issue"? Like the OP, are you saying you bought a pump and it doesn't have proper fitting for the EVO?

If you do as was suggested in this thread, you'll have power steering but it won't have that "super light" steering feel that the EVO system provides at low speeds, e.g., when parking.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So im having the same issue I have a 97.. So explain agine what should I do
A lot of suppliers sell pumps with the EVO bypass already attached, just connect the steering line and you’re done.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you mean "Same issue"? Like the OP, are you saying you bought a pump and it doesn't have proper fitting for the EVO?

If you do as was suggested in this thread, you'll have power steering but it won't have that "super light" steering feel that the EVO system provides at low speeds, e.g., when parking.
I found just the opposite. A normal pump is light ALL the time like any older GM, where the EVO is heavy at highway speeds. I can steer GMs without EVO with 1 finger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers