New power steering pump question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I already have the EVO delete, courtesy of previous owner. Based on this, when ordering new Blue Top steering box….should I check the box “Yes, my vehicle has EVO” or not? You guys are awesome, thx so much for the help!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either will work. The 96-under just has a little heavier steering feel with and without EVO. Pick the EVO (97+) gearbox if you like the current steering effort.

When I bought mine a few years ago, he didn’t ask that question and sent a <96. The second time I specifically requested the older version since I liked how it worked on my other 98 truck.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I already have the EVO delete, courtesy of previous owner. Based on this, when ordering new Blue Top steering box….should I check the box “Yes, my vehicle has EVO” or not?
Explain to Blue Top exactly your situation, perhap including the picture via email, and ask them for direction.

Remember, the "EVO delete" option was intended for trucks which already had the EVO steering box (and I know for a fact that GM had a separate p/n for the EVO steering gear, so I have to assume it's likely valved differently). Blue Top should be able to give you direction

I'm not discounting @east302's remarks, but Blue Top would seem to be the place to ask questions first.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d be interested to hear their response or what you go with - let us know if you hear back? At the time, they didn’t differentiate between the two boxes and I didn’t know that there was a difference when I ordered mine. It has to be something internal to the box, so it’d be interesting to know what that is.

Last edited:

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either will work. The 96-under just has a little heavier steering feel with and without EVO. Pick the EVO (97+) gearbox if you like the current steering effort.

When I bought mine a few years ago, he didn’t ask that question and sent a <96. The second time I specifically requested the older version since I liked how it worked on my other 98 truck.
How much heavier? It's almost impossible to steer in my 92, but I test drove a 94 Blazer and 97 K1500 on separate occasions, both of them feeling great.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve never driven a stock 96-under but the difference in steering effort in mine is just enough to notice but not enough to make you think that something’s wrong. I know, not much help.

I’d think that the 94 would be comparable to your 92, so you might have something going on there if it’s feeling like manual steering.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
How much heavier? It's almost impossible to steer in my 92, but I test drove a 94 Blazer and 97 K1500 on separate occasions, both of them feeling great.
If you are having difficulty steering a '92 there is some thing wrong. My '92 steers just like my '88. My '98 had EVO and I deleted it and the steering is still abit lighter than the other trucks but it is not overly light.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
id say youre looking at the differences in tiress, suspension pivots, and pump control valves and gear condition and hose condition

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are having difficulty steering a '92 there is some thing wrong. My '92 steers just like my '88. My '98 had EVO and I deleted it and the steering is still abit lighter than the other trucks but it is not overly light.
I'm thinking it is hoses or the pump. I am going on my 3rd gearbox now and none of them have solved it. The pump doesn't make noise or leak so I'm nervous to change it for rebuilt junk!