New Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone else will chime in. I was on a budget and did no mods besides an EGR delete.

One other thing, you will need the V8 pulleys and harmonic balancer.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GU4 is for 3.08 gearing so you'll want a trans with that. Also trying to find out if you can use an older computer too. 7747 ECUs have more support than 6299. I'll have to look and see what interchangeable. But for now, these are the computers you are looking for. In the list below I believe that C1 is pickups. You will want to be sure to grab the correct prom too. Sometimes that is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I have a 6299 and I did not want to buy another 7747, so I got lucky and got a stock AWLH prom.

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7747 ECUs have more support than 6299
The 7747 is an ECM (87-91) not a PCM (92-95), if you're running an auto trans the 7747 can't control it, you'll need an after-market trans controller. The 6299 is from a 92, don't know if it will work with the 93 (these were transitional years for GM). The 6299 used a 2732A EPROM where later PCMs used a 27C512 EPROM which can be replaced with a 27SF512 EEPROM (which can be flashed instead of UV erased and "burned"). The 7427 from 94-95 was the "upgraded" PCM at the time and there's a lot of info about retrofitting it into older year models.

https://xtronics.com/wiki/GM_ECU_eproms.html

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earlier ECMs can be modified to accept the 27SF512, here's what I had done to my 7747 - had a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket soldered in place to accept the 28 pin chip instead of the 24 pin 2732A. Now I can data log and flash my own chips (with Moates Burn2 and a $6blank chip) and tune my engine with TunerPro RT v5 and an ALDL USB cable.

With chip installed

Without chip, note the little lever on the bottom of the socket.

But, you'll need a trans controller...

Last edited:

lumpdog602

Reaction score
I didn't realize it was vortec until you pointed it out. I would rather not do vortec and keep it similar to what I have now. I appreciate your info fancyTBI thats all very helpful!

As I mentioned, I really don't know what everything means and have been trying to research so I will take all of the help that I can get.

So would it be better to go with a crate or try to find a good used one?

lumpdog602

Reaction score
I didn't realize it was vortec until you pointed it out. I would rather not do vortec and keep it similar to what I have now. I appreciate your info fancyTBI thats all very helpful!

As I mentioned, I really don't know what everything means and have been trying to research so I will take all of the help that I can get.

So would it be better to go with a crate or try to find a good used one?
1993 V6 should be "Z" vin non-balance shaft non Vortec 160HP TBI. I have a tired 250K miler in my 1993 ECSSB with a 5 speed. I am watching this thread closely.

domcan1000

Reaction score
The 7747 is an ECM (87-91) not a PCM (92-95), if you're running an auto trans the 7747 can't control it, you'll need an after-market trans controller. The 6299 is from a 92, don't know if it will work with the 93 (these were transitional years for GM). The 6299 used a 2732A EPROM where later PCMs used a 27C512 EPROM which can be replaced with a 27SF512 EEPROM (which can be flashed instead of UV erased and "burned"). The 7427 from 94-95 was the "upgraded" PCM at the time and there's a lot of info about retrofitting it into older year models.

https://xtronics.com/wiki/GM_ECU_eproms.html

According to that list of EPROMs and this:

The one that I will be looking for will have the 27C512 EPROM which means I can replace it with the 27SF512 and flash to my specs right?

(the color in this is just to see the duplicate values)

Also, I ran my truck through compnine and it showed that I have a GU6 3.42 gear. Not sure if that is correct or not or if it matters. I looked at the seal on my rear and it says OS 38 but IDK if that means anything.

Thank you @fancyTBI for this excel! It took me a minute to figure out but I think I understand now.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score