Need to do some rust prevention, color schem thoughts for afterwards inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Quickie Photochop of a paint scheme idea:

You must be registered for see images attach

Bottom of the doors need body work and so does the cab extensions before rust takes a firm hold. Bed lowers could use some fresh protection also. Chrome bumpers are rusty-ish. Would prefer rechroming, but that's big bucks. No money for full paint job or it would have it. Top paint is scratched but mostly sound except for above the windshield where a snow goose hit it (don't ask :rolleyes: ).

Painting the lowers is something I can do myself in the garage.

The heat extractor is not actually on the truck. That's pic when I was (still am actually, have a set in the garage) toying with the idea of grafting on Z28/trans am extractors. Looking to lower underhood temps and facilitate increased heat rejection for when the intercooler goes in. Anyways, that's a project for another discussion and saved the sheet metal more times than I can count...

Thoughts on paint?

Door strips stay, please don't suggest removing them. This is a working truck, not a show queen. The rub strips see "combat engagements" daily.....

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Little wider view:

The reddish is much brighter than it would be for real.

It's almost florescent there....I like a little contrast but 1974 is calling in that color.....:rofl:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
This is getting a bit closer:

BadBowtie 98

BOWTIE TILL I DIE
Reaction score
Bedliner the rockers :shrug:

You must be registered for see images

Texture of it
You must be registered for see images

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
No offense intended but good gawd no!

:)

Last edited:

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HAhA. Great white being the genius that you are, you must know that the only way to get rid of rust it to cut it or sand it out. But that color combo would be sweet.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Not a big fan of that combo myself, but I know that it would be an easier than repainting after all the rust repairs.

On a related note I just picked up a diesel smoothie for $230 shipped from LMC truck and a rear smoothie for just over $300. Buying new would be easier than rechroming. Shipping to Canada may be higher though

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Have you tried to see if any of the duplicolor stuff from the auto parts stores match?

Their dark cherry for my truck seems to match, but at $8 for a 8oz can it would be pretty expensive to repaint my hood and roof. Depends on how much you have to cut out and replace.

I'm not much of a fan of the black rocker look. All I think of when I see it how must rust was covered up when they painted it like that. It's a dead giveaway for rust IMO.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Last time i had to order 2 cans of duplicolor in my truck's pewter/bronze/silver/whatevertheheckitis color, it took several weeks to get and cost 14 bucks a piece.

To add insult to injury, its even the smallest cans I've ever seen!

No, it can't be the matching oem color, too much money.

I need a different "two tone" color scheme that still works well with the truck. I'm thinking a shade of gray or charcoal will have to do with maybe a small matching pinstripe to finish it off.

The chrome piece in the rub strip is all buggered up under the diesel fill point, so slapping a bit of paint on there (red stripe) will fix that up too. I'm thining the red will "match" the red stripe in the 4x4 bedside sticker. Ditto the "GMC" in the GMC2500 emblem on the rub strip.

I suppose I could always get a pint of base clear mixed and shoot it myself. That small of an area shouldn't be that hard.

Ref rust comment above: yup, rust with be removed mechanically. It's all surface stuff that a bit of sandpaper will make go bye bye....but then It needs weather protection. Hence; the search for paint that doesn't look like total @$$.

Probably also shoot some OEM style rockerguard when I think of it...

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Not a big fan of that combo myself, but I know that it would be an easier than repainting after all the rust repairs.

On a related note I just picked up a diesel smoothie for $230 shipped from LMC truck and a rear smoothie for just over $300. Buying new would be easier than rechroming. Shipping to Canada may be higher though

Yeah, umm...600+ bucks on bumpers is waaaay outside what I can swing right now.

Besides, my front and rear bumpers are altered for my specific uses: