Need some rear suspension help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89OBSeast

Reaction score
I have a 1989 C1500 shortbed with about 65k miles on it. Each time i hit small potholes, train tracks, or just small bumps in general I hear some thumps and thuds coming from the rear. Some of it I assume is coming from the tailgate vibrating a bit but I think there is more to it. Just sounds off to me. I'm just curious if maybe there are some bushings that might need replacing and where I'd find them in the rear end, or if maybe its something else. Rear shocks replaced about 5 years ago I believe. I'd also love to get some recommendations some rear suspension replacement parts/kits (without lowering or lifting). Sorry if this isn't the correct thread, new to the forum, and still learning a lot about these trucks. Thanks!

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If not shocks. Could just be missing tailgate bumpers. Or old leaf bushings Or spare tire moving around or shackle bushings. Get under there and look.

Bigs209

Reaction score
Get under there and have people jump around maybe you can pin point the issue

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These trucks are bad about crud collecting in the lower u-bolt bracket and rusting the u-bolts loose. The leapack centering pins corrode out also. Along with the other things mentioned Get under it and look.

Don't be this guy.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media