Need some help with my A/C PLEASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does jumping the connector at the accumulator cycling switch engage the compressor? Could be a bum switch, I’ve gone through a few.

If you have a scanner, it would show if the computer is getting an AC request signal.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ground locations G103, 105 and 200:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would follow east302 diagrams and confirm power. If you have something shorted or disconnected you should be able to trace it down. Man I know it sucks and time consuming. Goodluck and grab your favorite beverage. If you run across something that your unsure of make sure you let us know. I dont mind comparing mine as a reference.. just dont ask me to pull my dash lol

Bigred81

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plug is correct. There is supposed to be a loner prong with no where to go.
I will have to wait until I can get my volt meter to check the volts. I tested the relay and they are good. I used my power probe and bypassed the
Plug is correct. There is supposed to be a loner prong with no where to go.
I would follow east302 diagrams and confirm power. If you have something shorted or disconnected you should be able to trace it down. Man I know it sucks and time consuming. Goodluck and grab your favorite beverage. If you run across something that your unsure of make sure you let us know. I dont mind comparing mine as a reference.. just dont ask me to pull my dash lol
ok. I’ll have to check with bolt meter when I get home. Here’s what I know

1. hvac controls replaced and worked momentarily but never on high speed for fan. But now no AC engagement.
2. My relay is good as are fuses. Clutch engages when I jump it.
High and low side sensors are not causing problem. I jumped both high and low side and still didn’t work.

So it may be the resistor on hvac box for fan but I don’t think that would affect the compressor.
So I think the issue is somewhere between hvac controls and the relay under hood. Is that kind of correct? I’ll have to ask my friend if he can read those schematics. That’s a different language.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
If you'll look closely at the switch where that extra pin comes out, you'll see it's jumped over to the ignition pin. Almost like they were going to put on two ignition lines to share the load instead of giving everyone the headache of melted connectors and wiring.

The three relays (or four if you have a four-speed system) is only applicable to the 88-94 trucks. 95+ the relays got replaced by that switch that can't handle the load, hence the burned out connector and wires.

There are THREE A/C pressure switches, did you jump all three? There's one at the dryer, two at the compressor. One on the lines, and one on the back of the compressor.

One more thing. The A/C switch does not go to the A/C compressor clutch, nor the relay. It goes through the high pressure cutout switch on the A/C lines at the compressor, then to the PCM - the PCM then checks the status of the OTHER two pressure switches and decides whether to activate the relay to turn on the compressor clutch.

Last edited:

Bigred81

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you'll look closely at the switch where that extra pin comes out, you'll see it's jumped over to the ignition pin. Almost like they were going to put on two ignition lines to share the load instead of giving everyone the headache of melted connectors and wiring.

The three relays (or four if you have a four-speed system) is only applicable to the 88-94 trucks. 95+ the relays got replaced by that switch that can't handle the load, hence the burned out connector and wires.

There are THREE A/C pressure switches, did you jump all three? There's one at the dryer, two at the compressor. One on the lines, and one on the back of the compressor.

One more thing. The A/C switch does not go to the A/C compressor clutch, nor the relay. It goes through the low pressure switch on the A/C lines at the compressor, then to the PCM - the PCM then checks the status of the OTHER two pressure switches and decides whether to activate the relay to turn on the compressor clutch.
I can only find the two switches. The one on the dryer and the one on the back of the compressor. You added on the power to the compressor is not the switch. What am I missing?i got the two colored in red.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Is this the one you checked (behind the "high" text), or the one under the back of the compressor itself?

The switch visible there is the switch that the A/C switch passes through on its way to the PCM. The one ON the compressor is the high side switch.

Bigred81

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the one you checked (behind the "high" text), or the one under the back of the compressor itself?

The switch visible there is the switch that the A/C switch passes through on its way to the PCM. The one ON the compressor is the high side switch.
Yes. There is only one switch back there and I jumped it along with the switch on the dryer. Is that correct? I don’t see a third one to jump.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That's odd... You don't have an unplugged connector laying around near the high line at the compressor? I see what looks like should be the port for the switch behind the red cap, but nothing plugged into it.

Well actually if the compressor kicked over by jumping those two then it doesn't matter, maybe they deleted that switch on some models...

In that case I'd look closely at the circuit board on the HVAC controller and see if the traces going to the A/C switch are still intact. I've seen one that the trace going to the switch actually burned off.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If everything else is good, then yes, it could ether be a nad ground or a short. You may have pinched a wire when reinstalling the dash, or doing the lift. The compressor is grounded to the engine at the mounting bracket. In a nut shell, you have to big of a draw on the system to over heat the wires like that. Sometimes the easiest way to get around something like that, is to just run a new wire from end to end. You know what wire over heated, get a new wire and replace the one that melted. When I did the big 3 mod on my truck, ( and I added 2 more grounds) I was suprised at how much better things worked in my truck. Lol my windshield wipers speed up, just for 1 thing.

Bigred81

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you’re thinking I should have another switch on the manifold on top of my compressor?