Need help with a/c and radio stack.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just picked up this 89 and the radio is dead. The a/c c----h lights up but the fan won't turn on either. Already checked both fuses. Any suggestions? I need a/c!

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
would that also make the radio not turn on?

I messed with it last night, and checked all the fuses. they are all good.

i also checked the panel above the park brake where a lot of stuff plugs in, and it seemed to be fine as well.

I guess i need to see if i even have power at the fuse, does the 10A radio fuse work the entire stack? there is a 30A A/C fuse but i assume thats for the compressor.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing you may depend on is that all speakers are most likely dead with voice coil open. Even if the radio works (unlikely) you would never know it until you replace the speakers. The front speakers in the dash are easy to replace, The rear (pillar) speakers depend on trim level. The nicer the trim, the harder to replace.

If you are a purist, there are nice (read expensive) radios that look like and fit into the factory spot. If you are not a purist it is easier to replace with a center mounted aftermarket radio and a blank cubby in the dashboard radio spot.

You likely will be replacing AC components but the firstt step is to get the blower working. If it won't turn at all check the relay, switch and resistor as others have said. If you end up replacing the blower motor be sure and find out about cleaning the heater core before you put the new motor in. Good luck and let us know what you do. Welcome to the forum.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the issue was (is) that the controls on the dash would not light up for the radio or the AC. the only part that did light up was the C-----------H part across the bottom. I could make the arrow move with the controls but nothing else would light up, and no blower.

I got bored last night and started taking things apart. i got basically the entire radio out, and could not find any issues, but i did find unplugged wires which leads me to believe i inherited someone else problem.

right about the time i got frustrated enough to put it all back together and start shopping for a replacement radio, i noticed the "OFF" light was lit on the A/C controls. i hit the power button and it came on! I have no idea what i did. I think something was lose behind the glove box.

it turned on but was not blowing cold. I had a can of R134 so i put a little in, and it blew cool, but the little built in gauge on the freon tank showed high pressure. I think it needs to be evac'd and filled properly, but it works!!

Still need to figure out the radio though, but i can live without tunes for now. Its July in Texas, i NEEED A/C.

OLD BLUE 88

Reaction score
My 88 K1500 has been torn down a few times to replace AC components, etc. You may have a grounding issues. After last tear down to replace AC evap core, radio sporatically flickers, but of late, it's dead. As long as AC blows cold, I can sing and talk to myself. Now trying to track down slow refriderant leak down.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you check the main ground?

I think the main ground attaches to the metal bracket that's riveted to the lower part of the dash? If I remember right is was somewhere around the Diagnostic Port/OBD1 connector.

That whole bracket was corroded badly in mine, and the only way that bracket grounds is connecting to the two support brackets on either side of the dash and then those connect to the body.

Probably best to just extend it to a good clean and sanded body ground and cover it up after with paint or liquid electrical tape.