need new motor soon have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLACK&chrome

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i changed my oil for the first time since I bought my truck . there was an excessive amount of metal flakes in the oil so sooner hopefully later I will need a new motor. i've already been thinking of replacing with a 383 stroker. of course was hoping it would be further down the road but look as though it wont be as far out as I hoped.

Has anyone done a 383 in the a k2500 ccsb on here? just kinda curious to what mpg I would be looking at the motor I'm thinking of going with is ATK high performance stage 1 marine crate motor would pair with Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT EFI . what else would I need to change over if I were to do the 383? while the engine is out I would also be doing electric fan conversion.

hoping the motor last a year but only time will tell.

DCorvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking there is a few people around here who have a 383. I personally don't, but I love them and I'd like to one day.
Those damn crate 383s are so expensive though.

Anyways, good luck man hope your motor holds out for ya!!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't jump to conclusions yet. Just because you have metal flakes doesn't mean your motor will blow tomorrow. PO coulda done some motor work and hadn't changed the oil yet. Or never changed the oil at all. Most people I know don't change their oil, ever.

Oil pressure good?
Knocking?
Smoking?
If its doing any of the above start saving and let it eat.

If none of the above then I wouldnt worry about it. Just keep an eye on it.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Don't jump to conclusions yet. Just because you have metal flakes doesn't mean your motor will blow tomorrow. PO coulda done some motor work and hadn't changed the oil yet. Or never changed the oil at all. Most people I know don't change their oil, ever.

Oil pressure good?
Knocking?
Smoking?
If its doing any of the above start saving and let it eat.

If none of the above then I wouldnt worry about it. Just keep an eye on it.

x2

Just change the oil and run it (if it can run without major issues) and check the oil again after some time.

Also, I can't recommend anyone who has a 383 stroker here but I know someone must have one. That's exactly what I'd put in my truck if my motor blew tomorrow (fingers crossed as I don't have the kinda money laying around)

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did run a 383 in my camaro. 81 Z28 with a GMPP ZZ383, aluminum heads, AED850 carb, plate nitrous system, T56 6speed. Sweet sweet motor, a little high strung for a truck though. Just make sure you build/buy it for torque and not hp.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
High strung? These 383s are high torque in low range. Would I go for a high performance 383 in a truck, no you will get 8mpg if your lucky. I have a 2000 stall and I make my highest torque and horsepower at 3500. And it runs out of breath at 6k rpm wisd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, you can build them for torque, mine was fine in that camaro, might have been ok it something heavier too, not sure. But with the single plane highrise intake, huge mechanical secondary carb and big cam, the motor i had was better off in something light with steep gears. Not saying it wouldn't work, just worked better.

Btw, with the .50 overdrive and an easy throttle it got 22mpg on the highway, about 5 in town playing. Only hit the laughing gas a half dozen times, totally unstreetable.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend a marine crate because the cam would be set for two speeds for a boat: idle and full speed. The GM crate HT383E which is the same as the ZZ but designed for our trucks would be a better match if you want to keep some mileage. For the price though I would build my own if you had the means and time.

I would not worry too much about your stock engine though. If there is anything I have learned about the gen1 SBC's is that they can take a beating and usually let you know when something major is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Has anyone done a 383 in the a k2500 ccsb on here? just kinda curious to what mpg I would be looking at the motor I'm thinking of going with is ATK high performance stage 1 marine crate motor would pair with Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT EFI . what else would I need to change over if I were to do the 383? while the engine is out I would also be doing electric fan conversion.

Miles per gallon depends on a lot more than just the motor. What do you currently get with the truck? Expect that, minus a few (or, a lot, depending on how heavy your foot is), with the 383. Those engines are not fuel economy masters. Some people claim high mileage with them, and I'm sure it's true, but in a full size 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive truck...no.

I'm guessing if that's what you're driving, and that's the motor you're considering, gas mileage probably isn't your number one priority.

It would be a fun truck though, seen it done a few times.

BLACK&chrome

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well as far as I know the PO did not rebuild or anything major to the motor. He did have a bunch of paper work but nothing on a rebuild. Biggest thing done was new manifolds. Just did a tune up this weekend ( new ac delco cap and plugs, taylor wires and ac delco air filter) actually woke it up a bit. But by the looks of the oil it wasn't changed for quite awhile .. I've only put like 3 tanks on it so 600 moles or so since I bought it. mileage I'm presuming wont get much worse then I'm already getting like 6 in town and 14 interstate at 65. But maybe a little more now with tune.

Anyways the oil might as well been pewter only brown. However we did like 4 trucks and no one else payed attention to there oil so hopefully it was there HAHA. So for now im just going to watch it because there was a lot stuck to the plug. No there is no or at least very little smoke if any. It does nock a little on start when its cold but not to worried about that. Since every 5.7 has I've ever owed.