Need help with keyless entry relay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twostrokeking

Reaction score
I have a 1995 Chevy k1500 and im 16 and just learning about relays. Car audio is a HUGE part of my life so im not a stranger to wiring. I installed my Viper alarm myself and I want to do the keyless entry now. I installed my first relay the other day behind my stereo to turn on my amps. How do I use a relay in the kick panel for the locks? Do I need a normally open or a normally closed??

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do you intend on setting up the relays? Does your Viper unit have a output to trigger the door locks? Positive or ground switched? Of you can give us some more information on your set up, we will be able to help much further buddy!

Twostrokeking

Reaction score
How do you intend on setting up the relays? Does your Viper unit have a output to trigger the door locks? Positive or ground switched? Of you can give us some more information on your set up, we will be able to help much further buddy!

The viper has a remote wire to trigger the relays. Problem is this is really confusing to me haha how do I know what kind of door locks I have? I'm trying so hard to learn. Thanks for replying man!

Twostrokeking

Reaction score
I have a viper 350 2 way responder I am using. There are 2 wires that are supposed to go to the lock wires. says (-) Unlock, (+) lock output for the green wire and then the blue says (-) lock, (+) unlock output. What the hell does that mean? thanks guys

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a viper 350 2 way responder I am using. There are 2 wires that are supposed to go to the lock wires. says (-) Unlock, (+) lock output for the green wire and then the blue says (-) lock, (+) unlock output. What the hell does that mean? thanks guys

Okay generally speaking the way the keyless entry units are set up on the 88-98 trucks are as follows;

Access the door lock wires via the kick drivers side Kick Pannel or drivers side speaker in dash (88-94). After you located the two signal wires for the doors, generally they get cut. So now you have 4 wires to work with, thus having 4 output wires from your Viper unit. The 88-98 2 door trucks and suvs have reverse polarity door lock systems in them, so keep that in mind. Let me pull up a diagram for you, after checking out the specs on your Viper unit and I'll help explain what wire goes where!

Twostrokeking

Reaction score
Okay generally speaking the way the keyless entry units are set up on the 88-98 trucks are as follows;

Access the door lock wires via the kick drivers side Kick Pannel or drivers side speaker in dash (88-94). After you located the two signal wires for the doors, generally they get cut. So now you have 4 wires to work with, thus having 4 output wires from your Viper unit. The 88-98 2 door trucks and suvs have reverse polarity door lock systems in them, so keep that in mind. Let me pull up a diagram for you, after checking out the specs on your Viper unit and I'll help explain what wire goes where!

That would be sweet! Damn I love the people on this site :) thanks so much man! Let me know when u find it. Oh and the harness for the locks on the viper only has 2 wires.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, from what I can tell you do not need any extra external relays with that model alarm system. Being that Viper is now owned by DEI, it is near impossible to find install instructions online. Was there a external relay included with the alarm? Also do you have a copy of the install intructions? There should be a wiring diagram somewhere in the instructions for the keyless entry feature. Your going to want to find the diagram for a Reverse Polarity Door Lock system. If you can provide me with a link to install instructions, I'm sure I can tell you exactly how to wire in the keyless entry feature in your truck and tell you whether you need a relay(s) or not! There are so many on the market, its very hard to tell without knowing how the unit is set up!

Twostrokeking

Reaction score
Alright, from what I can tell you do not need any extra external relays with that model alarm system. Being that Viper is now owned by DEI, it is near impossible to find install instructions online. Was there a external relay included with the alarm? Also do you have a copy of the install intructions? There should be a wiring diagram somewhere in the instructions for the keyless entry feature. Your going to want to find the diagram for a Reverse Polarity Door Lock system. If you can provide me with a link to install instructions, I'm sure I can tell you exactly how to wire in the keyless entry feature in your truck and tell you whether you need a relay(s) or not! There are so many on the market, its very hard to tell without knowing how the unit is set up!

Yeah normally I can figure stuff out with a diagram haha. It gives a diagram for everything BUT keyless entry, says refer to dealer article blah blah . Thats what the main problem is haha. Thanks so much for ur help so far!

Twostrokeking

Reaction score
http://www.the12volt...aydiagram4.html I wired it like that and it didnt work! this is god damn irritating. My door locks are reverse polarity. When I do it like that and push the button on my alarm I can hear the relays switching, but the locks dont switch. Also as soon as the power and ground are hooked to the relays then the push locks stop working and as soon as they are un plugged they work again. What is going wrong?