Need help.starter clicks once no start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Abellmichael

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hooked my trailer up went to start my truck it clicks one time and its done. 1995 k1500 5.7
I took the starter out and had it tested everything was good and charged the battery still just one click when you hit the key. Not sure where to turn now so any help appreciated. Also just one click in neutral also. Thanks in advance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the battery charged? Battery voltage should be 12.6--12.7 for most batteries.

Failed (corroded, loose) battery cables--positive and/or negative--can fail to flow enough current to operate the starter.

Is the engine seized? Can you rotate the crankshaft with a long ratchet and the bolt on the torsional damper? Or just grab the fan belt and pull?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would have the battery load tested if you haven't already. Could be a dead cell even if it's still showing voltage. Most auto parts stores will do this for free, or Harbor Freight sells a $40 carbon pile load tester if you'd rather do it yourself.

Abellmichael

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE* I checked continuity on the grounds and they were good they had resistance I put my battery on the charger for about 12 hours still no good. I put a ratchet on the motor and turned it about 2 inches until the ratchet slipped and I got mad and walked away since it was starting to rain. Idk what the next step will be. I guess check down voltage at the starter as soon as i can.

Abellmichael

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have the battery load tested if you haven't already. Could be a dead cell even if it's still showing voltage. Most auto parts stores will do this for free, or Harbor Freight sells a $40 carbon pile load tester if you'd rather do it yourself.
I tried with a big jumper hooked up it did the same thing. 1 click.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE* I checked continuity on the grounds and they were good they had resistance
"Continuity" and "resistance" tests on battery cables are a useless waste of time. For the record, "having" resistance is not ideal, what you want is a lack of resistance.

The only way you'll get an accurate assessment of them is by performing voltage-drop (VD) testing.

I put my battery on the charger for about 12 hours still no good.
The charger is no good?
The battery is no good?
Or you're saying that charging the battery didn't fix the failure to start?

I guess check down voltage at the starter as soon as i can.
Absolutely. Verifying the actual voltage delivered to the starter, AND verifying the voltage drop in the cables-and-connectors.

Attachments

• Starter Voltage Drop Testing.JPG
    Starter Voltage Drop Testing.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 10

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First get underneath check the signal wire to ground volts as someone tries to start. Could be a wire issue even though you hear the relay click. If the starter is actually trying to turn the engine remove the belts and try to start. A bound auxiliary (alternator is the common culprit) can keep the motor from turning.