Need help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any decent scan tool will work on computer-controlled vehicle from 80 1/2 to OBD II.

Consumer-grade cheap-junk will have a later cut-off, perhaps 1984-newer.

Ahh, so pretty much any old Snapon scanner then.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh, so pretty much any old Snapon scanner then.
That's what I'm using--MTG2500. Twenty years past it's prime, still adequate. Engine, trans, ABS, "Air bags", instrument cluster, etc.

The Mac Mentor/OTC Genysis (also branded as a MATCO item) would work as well, I guess. There's other brands but I don't have experience with any but the Snappy.

Used to be heaps of them on eBay...which is where I got mine. $200--$400 depending on software.

I wouldn't know w.hat to buy "new" although there could be usable product out there. Better to have "used" professional-grade tools than brand-new compromised, low-grade crap.

brian5365437

Reaction score
I've had this same issue on two trucks... a 94 and a 95. I checked the code with a paperclip and in both cases it was code 32, EGR. I replaced the EGR Valve and in both cases resolved the issue.

Ethan Pearce

Reaction score
Had the same issue however it seemed to be the whole EGR system, I replaced the EGR and the connector that went into what i believe was EGR Solenoid. That fixed my problem!

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EGR code is almost always popping in on mine too. EGR valve itself has been replaced twice over the last 4-5 years, which did solve the problem but only temporarily. Code/light eventually returned some months later.

Currently my EGR valve has been tested and is functioning fine, but still sending the code. Mechanic thought it may be due to carbon that breaks loose from the engine and blows through the device. He installed a wire screen before the valve and recommended a run a couple rounds of Chevron engine cleaner through the fuel system. No change so far...

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 94 throws egr code about every time I drive it more than a mile. Changed the valve a few years ago. Code started coming back 6 months later, only sparingly. I had my exhaust extended out the rear around February and that’s when it started throwing the code almost every time. Changed the solenoid but didn’t help. Will bad egr cause hesitation in acceleration?

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
My 94 throws egr code about every time I drive it more than a mile. Changed the valve a few years ago. Code started coming back 6 months later, only sparingly. I had my exhaust extended out the rear around February and that’s when it started throwing the code almost every time. Changed the solenoid but didn’t help. Will bad egr cause hesitation in acceleration?

A bad EGR diaphragm results in a small vacuum leak, which can cause the hesitation you speak of.

As for everyone else, I had to gently chisel all of the crunchy carbon out of my intake manifold on my TBI 350. Even though the valve itself was working, one of the ports was almost completely blocked... Unfortunately you gotta remove the intake manifold to clean this properly/wash out all the gunk. Definitely don't want your engine to inhale the carbon crumbs.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A bad EGR diaphragm results in a small vacuum leak, which can cause the hesitation you speak of.

As for everyone else, I had to gently chisel all of the crunchy carbon out of my intake manifold on my TBI 350. Even though the valve itself was working, one of the ports was almost completely blocked... Unfortunately you gotta remove the intake manifold to clean this properly/wash out all the gunk. Definitely don't want your engine to inhale the carbon crumbs.
When I push on the diaphragm it releases as it should so I’m stumped. I had the head gaskets replaced a while back & was told the engine was clean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wjauto1777