Need help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony Almaraz

Reaction score
1995 z71. It doesn’t happen every time I drive it but sometimes when I’m driving for about 15-20 minutes my service engine light comes on but will come off when I turn it off. Like I said sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn’t... any ideas???

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1995 z71. It doesn’t happen every time I drive it but sometimes when I’m driving for about 15-20 minutes my service engine light comes on but will come off when I turn it off. Like I said sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn’t... any ideas???

I've had O2 sensors do that. Either buy a scanner or the next time the SEL comes on wheel into the auto parts store and have them read the code (provided they will read it out of fear of the Wuhan Virus), around here they currently won't read them for customers.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try the paperclip trick. TBIs will set an SES and then the light will go out but the PCM will store the code for somewhere around 30 - 40 key cycles. If I had to venture a wild guess, I'd say code 32 - EGR. It'll set once your engine is warmed up and you're cruising at or above 45MPH if it has an issue.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 95 is still OBD 1 so you don't need a scanner.
Watch a YouTube video on how to retrieve OBD1 codes it's easy to do.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 94 use to do the same thing, when warmed up and at highway speeds it would set the SEL. It was the O2 sensor.