Need Help - 1991 5 Speed Manual to Automatic Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

devildriver6

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you say it, yes, I know........no one ever does this.
But I want to, regardless.

So, now that we've dispensed with that, I need to know every detail to the swap.

1991 Chevy swb reg cab w/ 350, factory 5 speed.

So, other than a transmission (thinking th350 with the heavily modified & carbed 350 & 3:73 posi out back), drive shaft, shift kit on the floor, what else am I gonna need? I know I'll also need a trans cooler or radiator with one already, and the cross member is different, I think...

If someone had an auto they wanted to converted, this would be SO much easier...lol

Aaaaaaaand GO!

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A stand alone trans cooler will be fine, no need to swap radiator if you don't want to.

The cross member should be the same along with the mount. You might have to move it to match the mount location on the th350 but that's as easy as drilling some holes.

I'm not 100% sure of the length of the manual in your truck, but a long tail shaft 350 an a 700r4 are the same length so you might be able to keep your driveshaft if the trans are the same overall length.

Edit: you'll also have to do a little wiring to hook the neutral safety an reverse lights to your new shifter.

Last edited:

devildriver6

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A stand alone trans cooler will be fine, no need to swap radiator if you don't want to.

The cross member should be the same along with the mount. You might have to move it to match the mount location on the th350 but that's as easy as drilling some holes.

I'm not 100% sure of the length of the manual in your truck, but a long tail shaft 350 an a 700r4 are the same length so you might be able to keep your driveshaft if the trans are the same overall length.

Edit: you'll also have to do a little wiring to hook the neutral safety an reverse lights to your new shifter.

Mine is a stock 5 speed in a 1991 Chevy short wide... should be a NV3500 IIRC. Not sure of the tail length of it vs a th350.
I've heard different people say long and shirt tail are the same length...

devildriver6

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also just figured out my truck was originally an automatic and it was switched over to a 5 speed.... Does that make a difference?