3 spd manual to automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I saw the other post about the power windows and locks and now, with this info search, I am wondering why you just don't go buy a truck that has what you want. The task ahead of you with swapping in a different engine and transmission is going to be BIG. New PCM harness and all that it attaches to and the interior work for the doors.....WOW. I am a retired ASE Master Tech and I would not want to take this job on and don't know the answers to all your questions. If you have the knowledge and the tools, more power to you. I think you would save a lot of money by finding what you want in a "no salt on the roads state" and get a rust free truck. Lots of those here in the PNW and down south. Do you want a 2wd in Wisconsin or a 4x4? Good luck to you.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^ Agree'd

You can get a 1-way plane ticket to anywhere in the south and buy a nice clean truck setup just the way you want it. You could even upgrade to an 8-lug 2500 or 3500. There are lots of way of searching for vehicles online, I like cargurus.com personally.

For reference for other posters, here is your thread about manual to auto windows and door locks.

Also, your post about interior colors shows your truck as an automatic? Or was that a google search picture?

joelabella

Reaction score
I saw the other post about the power windows and locks and now, with this info search, I am wondering why you just don't go buy a truck that has what you want. The task ahead of you with swapping in a different engine and transmission is going to be BIG. New PCM harness and all that it attaches to and the interior work for the doors.....WOW. I am a retired ASE Master Tech and I would not want to take this job on and don't know the answers to all your questions. If you have the knowledge and the tools, more power to you. I think you would save a lot of money by finding what you want in a "no salt on the roads state" and get a rust free truck. Lots of those here in the PNW and down south. Do you want a 2wd in Wisconsin or a 4x4? Good luck to you.
It is my grandpas truck have memories with it just don’t wanna throw it to waste and rather waste money on this heirloom than buying another one it is fairly rust free it is from down south he would keep it on his barn all winter and take it out Sumer to cruise with family

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Then, IMO, I would try to keep it as original as you can. Your call but that work you asked about will be expensive, tedious and a crap shoot.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
id much rather have the 4.3L and SM465 (im assuming thats what you are calling a 3 speed manual) than a 350 and an automatic. The automatic will be way less reliable, 350 is going to suck gas and still be slow, the 4.3L is slow but good on gas. plus the weight distribution is better with the V6, so being a 2wd its going to do way better in the snow with the V6.

Leave it alone, and buy a 350 automatic 4wd to ruin in the salt. try to keep the family heirloom parked for the winter if you want to keep it alive. enjoy the good mpg in the summer.