Need a new Y pipe..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is still on replacing the bent one from hitting the road debris? You're lowering the truck.. is the portion of yours that is bent the piece that travels across from side to side? If so, just have the muffler shop cut out the bent piece and bend up a crossover that fits up higher. It's the first thing I've done to several TBI GMT400's I have lowered since the crossover sits so low. In this pic it appears lower than the crossmember but that's just the angle of the pic. It's about even with it. Pic taken from the transmission crossmember if that helps orient your eyes. You can see the engine crossmember sitting a tiny bit below the Y-pipe crossover.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
This thread was for my C1500 RCLB, but I installed an OEM Y on that as it was what I was able to get my hands on. I had my eyes on the JBA for the C2500, but if it doesn't tuck up any higher I will likely do what you had mentioned, which I had on my radar, too. Appreciate the input.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mainly got the JBA setup to eliminate the OE restrictive, crinkle bent pipe and ugly "Y". I would go out and look but, I'm in the middle of swapping a roller cam for the flat tappet one so, my headers are out with the JBA pipes hangin' on their own.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I also want something that is less restrictive as well, I know a good exhaust is a great improvement for TBI trucks. @PlayingWithTBI how is the cam change going?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@PlayingWithTBI how is the cam change going?
It's a little challenging with the aluminum Summit Racing heads, they came with ~1.25" springs (rated up to .520" lift) and Comp Cam suggests ones with 1.43" OD. I had to order locators and retainers for them. The locators (1.57" OD), Comp calls for, are just a little too big for the seats (1.55") in the heads so, I ordered a little smaller locator (1.50") which is flat and still bigger than the springs. The shims for setting spring height (1.75") are 1.437" OD so, it should work out OK. If not, I'll take the heads to a machine shop and have the seats enlarged ~0.10". After all is said and done I'll have enough spring for .540" lift (so they say) while I'm only going .525" with 1.5 rockers, fun stuff huh? :biggrin:

BTW - Summit Racing tech support isn't much help with these heads - "we don't have any specifications since other companies supply them to us", but I asked a question in their Q&A section for those heads and they answered my question within 24 hours :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Summit Racing tech support isn't much help with these heads - "we don't have any specifications since other companies supply them to us", but I asked a question in their Q&A section for those heads and they answered my question within 24 hours
The world is run by C students. You just have to push a little and find that A or B student who's willing to work just a little bit harder because they take pride in their work.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a little challenging with the aluminum Summit Racing heads, they came with ~1.25" springs (rated up to .520" lift) and Comp Cam suggests ones with 1.43" OD. I had to order locators and retainers for them. The locators (1.57" OD), Comp calls for, are just a little too big for the seats (1.55") in the heads so, I ordered a little smaller locator (1.50") which is flat and still bigger than the springs. The shims for setting spring height (1.75") are 1.437" OD so, it should work out OK. If not, I'll take the heads to a machine shop and have the seats enlarged ~0.10". After all is said and done I'll have enough spring for .540" lift (so they say) while I'm only going .525" with 1.5 rockers, fun stuff huh? :biggrin:

BTW - Summit Racing tech support isn't much help with these heads - "we don't have any specifications since other companies supply them to us", but I asked a question in their Q&A section for those heads and they answered my question within 24 hours :rolleyes:
Sounds like you’re on the right track at least. Hopefully you can get it buttoned up soon enough and enjoy it again.