Need a new Y pipe..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakotabman

Reaction score

the main part that needs replaced is where it connects to manifolds. its so corroded you cant even get a socket on there and its leaking pretty bad. where the two pipes come together at the actual y part, is not in that bad of shape. but just want to replace it and not have to worry about it for awhile. do you know of any changes from 93 to 94 that would make the 88-93 y pipes not fit the 94-95?

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the main part that needs replaced is where it connects to manifolds. its so corroded you cant even get a socket on there and its leaking pretty bad. where the two pipes come together at the actual y part, is not in that bad of shape. but just want to replace it and not have to worry about it for awhile. do you know of any changes from 93 to 94 that would make the 88-93 y pipes not fit the 94-95?
OIC yeah. Still worth going to a shop they can weld some pipe to some flanges and make something for you. Should be less $$ than the JBA option.

The OEM y pipe flows terribly. opening that up is a noticeable improvement.

No idea what the change was.

dakotabman

Reaction score
OIC yeah. Still worth going to a shop they can weld some pipe to some flanges and make something for you. Should be less $$ than the JBA option.

No idea what the change was.

i had mentioned that idea to my exhaust guy, he said the labor would probably equal out to about the same and he suggest getting the y pipe.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you look at post #4, that JBA y-pipe shows the positioning of the catalytic converter up to 93. If you look at a 94-95 y-pipe, you'll see that positioning was moved forward almost to the O2 sensor bung, and there's additional pipe and 2-bolt flange behind the converter to connect with the rest of the exhaust. Those are the differences.

dakotabman

Reaction score
If you look at post #4, that JBA y-pipe shows the positioning of the catalytic converter up to 93. If you look at a 94-95 y-pipe, you'll see that positioning was moved forward almost to the O2 sensor bung, and there's additional pipe and 2-bolt flange behind the converter to connect with the rest of the exhaust. Those are the differences.[/QUOTE

awesome thanks, thats pretty much what i was thinking is it has something to do with where the cat is located. since mine has no cat it doesnt matter, so the 88-93 should work as well. okay thanks for the responses and now im confident with going ahead with the order. thanks again.

dakotabman

Reaction score
not sure how i put that in quote.

awesome thanks, thats pretty much what i was thinking is it has something to do with where the cat is located. since mine has no cat it doesnt matter, so the 88-93 should work as well. okay thanks for the responses and now im confident with going ahead with the order. thanks again.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^X2 - I have the same JBA "Y" instead of making my own with the Flowmaster collector - I love it, bolted right up to my shorty headers with no fuss.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reviving my old thread. @PlayingWithTBI, what is the clearance like on the JBA Y pipe? Does it tuck up higher than the OEM unit?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Reviving my old thread. @PlayingWithTBI, what is the clearance like on the JBA Y pipe? Does it tuck up higher than the OEM unit?
This is still on replacing the bent one from hitting the road debris? You're lowering the truck.. is the portion of yours that is bent the piece that travels across from side to side? If so, just have the muffler shop cut out the bent piece and bend up a crossover that fits up higher. It's the first thing I've done to several TBI GMT400's I have lowered since the crossover sits so low. In this pic it appears lower than the crossmember but that's just the angle of the pic. It's about even with it. Pic taken from the transmission crossmember if that helps orient your eyes. You can see the engine crossmember sitting a tiny bit below the Y-pipe crossover.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard