NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e3mcgrath

Reaction score
I bet you are probably right, but why do you think so?

i see you've already answered the question. but i've owned many OBSs and my dad last 2 trucks, including current, have been NBSs. spent a lot of time under each

RUshaved

Reaction score
Well it would have been a nice swap. Sounds like it would take a custom LCA, which would likely never be developed due to the increased offset.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Current Street Trucks mag has an article on slamming a NNBS and they flip the bottom ball joint by reaming it out. Seems to me that if the b/j to wheel mounting surface measurement is close, that this is a possibility. Would also allow me to do the ZO6 calipers and 15" rotors :)

Also, having the increased offset of the NBS wheels would allow them to tuck.

warbird

Reaction score
does anybody see reason why you could not just use the NBS 4wd front knuckle and brakes as shown but put them on a 2wd OBS?
for instance i have a 94 GMC 2500 (7200GVW) already has 6 lug but why could i not just put the steering knuckle from a 4wd NBS on it? are the LCA and UCA different from 2wd to 4wd on OBS? are the mounting points different? sorry if these are stupid questions i am new to these trucks

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The knuckles are the same for 2wd and 4wd on the NBS trucks. They dont resemble the knuckles on the OBS in any way. Nothing crosses over. That being said, depending on your fab skills, I think it is still possible to adapt them.

warbird

Reaction score
the OP used NBS knuckles on a OBS.... with what appears to be just reaming the BJ holes.... am i seeing that wrong? it doesnt look like he used alot of fabrication skills to make it work

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OP also did this on a 4wd truck-which have nothing in common with the 2wd setup or geometry. The upper and lower CA attaching points are in different places also. Im still convinced this can work, but its not going to be a bolt on.....

e3mcgrath

Reaction score
ccreddell - couldn't you turn down an OBS rotor (removing the actual brake part of it) and use it as a hub, then just slip the z06 rotor on it? i've seen it done a lot with s10s

warbird

Reaction score
thanks ccreddell, so the NBS both 2wd and 4wd use the same front knuckle but on OBS the 2wd and 4wd use entirely different suspension pickup points and knuckles.... dang...... looks like i need to find some junkyard parts and figure out how to make this work......

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ccreddell - couldn't you turn down an OBS rotor (removing the actual brake part of it) and use it as a hub, then just slip the z06 rotor on it? i've seen it done a lot with s10s

Quick answer-Yes. Although you'd have to re-drill the rotor because the bolt pattern is different. The problem has always been the OBS spindle. If you look at it, the spindle itself wraps up around the rotor to mount the caliper. This is what limits the diameter that the rotor can be. If you were to cut that part off, Im not sure a secure mounting for a caliper could be found. Theres a brake shop up in Oregon somewhere that makes hubs for mounting big rotors on the Impala SS, and it appears that with a bearing change you could run the bigger rotors that they use on the SS. Same 5X5 bolt pattern as our trucks. But you still have the problem of how to mount a caliper. Thats why I have been looking into the NBS spindle. If it could be adapted with maybe a ball joint change and re-reaming the ball joint hole(s) and/or the endlink hole you have a whole new world of options. If you just wanted to upgrade to a 13" rotor and two piston caliper, its all stock parts. If you wanted to swap to 6-lug so that you can have a better choice in affordable wheels, its already there. If you want to keep your 5 lug pattern the hubs are easily re-drilled for that. If it would work, theres no downside-even money wise. And, if you wanted some bling, for (comparatively) little money, 15" rotors and 6 piston calipers are a bolt-on. And they look pretty cool behind a 20" or 22" wheel.