NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e3mcgrath

Reaction score
s10 spindles wrap around too, they're cutting off the majority of the caliper mount and using a bracket to hang the calipers

Helomedic1171

Reaction score
just found this thread - the OP said 2 inches per foot tapered reamer... so that converts to a 9.5 degree taper? is that right? also, did it really cot $110?? I'm finding tapered reamers on ebay a lot cheaper than that, and I'm trying to make sure I get the correct one.

UPDATE: yup, they really cost that much, though I did find one for 79.99 from Speedway.

Last edited:

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nobody knows yet. We dont know of anybody who has done it. If it does end up being do-able, then yes, it would be better for some. The whole point of this swap would be the ability to use 15" rotors and ZO6 6-piston calipers.

Actually, I should say that no one has done it on a 2WD, the 4X guys have made it work.

Helomedic1171

Reaction score
I picked up some 6-lug 2wd rotors from the JY, and a 2wd spindle, and a NBS spindle/hub/caliper/rotor assembly so I can take measurements and start fab'ing something up. do the z06 rotors have the same bolt pattern as the 5-lug 2wd trucks?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. They are 5x4.75. But after a bunch of research I found that there is a bearing assy. from a Dodge Ram that will bolt into the NBS spindle. It has a 5x5.5 bolt pattern. This gives it enough meat to re-drill for our 5x5 pattern. You have to use a custom rotor anyway to get anything bigger than, I believe, 14". So it doesnt change anything price wise.

Reaction score
From what I understand:
For OBS 4x4
- upgrading to 00-05 master cylinder only will upgrade brake pedal feel and performance

-upgrading to 00-05 master cylinder AND OBS 1 ton calipers will NOT improve performance but return back to same pedal feel. This is because the new 1 ton calipers offset gains in fluid from NBS master cylinder. This will only improve performance if you have or instal hydroboost, which uses a higher psi to push bigger bores.

-upgrading to NBS master cylinder and NBS knuckles, rotors, calipers, pads is the BEST way to get true improved performance. It requires reaming though.