NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel Don

Reaction score
I am trying to do this to a '96 2wd to accomodate NNBS 18x8 6-lug wheels that I just bought. It seems cost prohibitive- I am calling junkyards and finding that the knuckle,hub,rotor, and caliper would be $290 PER SIDE. For used salvage parts.

Also will the ABS hook right up? edit: Yes.

I am also wondering what the effect on track width would be.

Since my new wheels are 31mm offset, I need to find a way to move the wheel mounting flange outwards about 1 and 1/4in. I'm assuming that the NBS truck spindle/hub would do this; because the NBS trucks are 31mm stock offset wheels.

At this rate, I seriously should start looking to buy an entire NBS donor truck for front end, and rear axle.

Last edited:

e3mcgrath

Reaction score
issue i see with a 2wd is the NBS lower balljoint goes in from the top as the OBS goes in from the bottom. don't know if there'd be enough meat on the spindle to ream it for OBS

Diesel Don

Reaction score
but the top balljoint should work the same, no?

I wonder if the entire lower control arm can be swapped to a NBS arm. then the NBS balljoint could be used, and only the upper would be need to be reamed. Also, and this could be a stupid question, but could a 4x4 OBS lower arm used?

In looking at this, I also wondered if there might be clearance issues with the much larger NBS brakes in full lock turning. This is just a fear, not a fact.

I really need 6-lug conversion because I have NNBS wheels coming. I want to do this the best way from the start, rather than just do 2500 rotors and find that the offset and braking power suck. If the NBS 2wd spindle conversion is possible, it should move the wheels outwards, correct? I assume so because NBS wheels are all positive offset. Which would be awesome because it means NBS type wheels will fit just like on NBS trucks, without spacers or tucking in too far and rubbing. Am I right?

Diesel Don

Reaction score
issue i see with a 2wd is the NBS lower balljoint goes in from the top as the OBS goes in from the bottom. don't know if there'd be enough meat on the spindle to ream it for OBS

Wow, so a NBS 2WD LCA fits "inside" the spindle/knuckle as opposed to underneath it, like the OBS 2wd?

So, *IF* a NBS LCA swap was possible, would the geometry be messed up because they are so different?

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
One option you do have is this....2500LD rotors, and 1 ton calipers. That will get you improved braking power plus your 6 lug conversion. However it will be the exact same offset as your existing 5 lug set up. If you really want to pump up the braking power one option is converting to Hydraboost like the Diesels and most big block trucks used.

On that note i can def see working towards doing this conversion to my K1500...what i gotta ask is this though...are the calipers used in the 16" wheel set up still dual piston?

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what i gotta ask is this though...are the calipers used in the 16" wheel set up still dual piston?

Yes my 04 clears 16s no problem an has dual piston calipers front and rear, in 05 they went with bigger brakes up front that require 17s+ so if the donor truck is a 99-04 your good to go. 05 is also when they went back to rear drums so if you are robbing the front brakes from a 99-04 you could snag the backs also for a 4 wheel disc setup

e3mcgrath

Reaction score
Wow, so a NBS 2WD LCA fits "inside" the spindle/knuckle as opposed to underneath it, like the OBS 2wd?

So, *IF* a NBS LCA swap was possible, would the geometry be messed up because they are so different?
i highly doubt you can swap LCAs

Diesel Don

Reaction score
One option you do have is this....2500LD rotors, and 1 ton calipers. That will get you improved braking power plus your 6 lug conversion. However it will be the exact same offset as your existing 5 lug set up. If you really want to pump up the braking power one option is converting to Hydraboost like the Diesels and most big block trucks used.

Right. But stock wheels are 0 offset and the wheels I am getting are +31mm offset and 1 inch wider. So, there will be a total of 2.25ish "more" wheel protruding "behind" the wheel mounting surface of the hub/rotor. So I need and want offset.

Diesel Don

Reaction score
yeah so I just went and looked at a yard. This is NOT possible with a 2wd without a complete rework and redesign of the front end. OBS and NBS 2wd are completely different lower, upper control arms. spindles are different heights. control arms are totally totally different. myth busted.