My truck is a killer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It also kills the tail light connector board about every 2 years

I bought Anzo 211140 taillights when I found somehow my passenger tail tabs were broke and it was just sitting in there no screws holding it anymore. This setup eliminates the circuit board using twist in bulb base like our turn signals. That number looks factory but they also have a smoke version

I run these in both of my '97s as well, I've been very happy with them. That's what I was referring to earlier in the thread when I said I don't run the tail light circuit boards any more. I took one set of them up to a local body shop and had them lightly smoked. The smoked version you can buy just has the tint on the reverse light portion of the lens, which I always thought was a little strange.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
FRONT WHEEL STUDS! Every time I buy a different brand of studs they come in a Dorman box, and I swear, Dorman makes the most sh***y parts out of everyone. I can't keep a wheel stud for more than 1 or 2 tire rotations before wearing out the threads. I even got one stud loose in its socket and spun it in the hub.

Generally, though, my '98 K3500 eats everything. I've put maybe 30,000 miles in the 3 years I've owned it, and the ONLY thing I haven't touched is the frame, rear axle, and transmission.

Engine block cracked at the starter, t-case lost fluid and burnt up, front differential seal cracked loose and burnt up front diff, CV axles, all blend door actuators replaced, 2 interior door handles, all new cooling system, new compressor and the rest of the A/C system, front and rear brake pads, right front caliper, front driveshaft, all new headlights and tail lights, and I off-road a lot so I eat through tires easily, too.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FRONT WHEEL STUDS! Every time I buy a different brand of studs they come in a Dorman box, and I swear, Dorman makes the most sh***y parts out of everyone. I can't keep a wheel stud for more than 1 or 2 tire rotations before wearing out the threads. I even got one stud loose in its socket and spun it in the hub.

Generally, though, my '98 K3500 eats everything. I've put maybe 30,000 miles in the 3 years I've owned it, and the ONLY thing I haven't touched is the frame, rear axle, and transmission.

Engine block cracked at the starter, t-case lost fluid and burnt up, front differential seal cracked loose and burnt up front diff, CV axles, all blend door actuators replaced, 2 interior door handles, all new cooling system, new compressor and the rest of the A/C system, front and rear brake pads, right front caliper, front driveshaft, all new headlights and tail lights, and I off-road a lot so I eat through tires easily, too.
You really need to stop letting it hang out with fords.

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 97 van killed a 4L60E at 38k, the stock 5.7L at 57K, exhaust manifolds and cats at 65K, the 4L65E build at 78K, the GM goodwrench 350 at 102K. Also ate the 8.5 somewhere in there. A battery only lasts 2-3 years regardless of brand. Ate a compressor at 60K and had to put a new one on it when the 383 went in at 102K.

The 99 Tahoe had a dead engine at 120K, killed the 4L60E about 40K later and somewhere between tried to kill my brother when the right rear wheel came off at 75 mph going around a bend in the highway. Discount had messed with the tires the day before and all 5 studs snapped off.

Reaction score
What the heck?! 5 trannies? Over how many miles? Jezz!

Clicked on the "like" button, but we really need a "unlike" button!

Just rolled 191k miles: 4 cheap rebuilds between my grandfather and father, and when it came to me I had it rebuilt with some goodies. Maybe I'll get a few thousand more miles out of it this round lol.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine kills header gaskets, hopefully I have that fixed when, the last time I used copper gaskets and replaced the header bolts with studs and nuts!

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine kills header gaskets, hopefully I have that fixed when, the last time I used copper gaskets and replaced the header bolts with studs and nuts!
On last truck I used 75 350 manifold gaskets and never had issue. My drag truck I use orange silicone and yes it has exhaust with mufflers