My next mod is anyone else running this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So been wanting to do a MPFI for a while on the hoe and found this kit in the December issue of off road magizine which was a chevy edition and awesome. Just wondering if anyone else is running something similar, and what the Pros and Cons were?
Heres the link:
http://www.theautoshop.net/VortecMPFI.htm

Thats been around for quite a while. if you're having problems with your poppet injectors leaking or clogging, then its a decent fix for that. however it doesn't address most of the problems inherent with the whole L30/L31 injection system.

those injectors offer absolutely zero performance increase if that is what you're looking for. they flow the exact same amount as the poppets (19#), and are still not upgradable. they still are housed within the intake manifold and take up alot of room in the path of the intake airflow (in fact the MPFI spider is worse than the poppets when it comes to blocking the airflow due to the added wiring harness and such). if you're having problems with the poppets, and don't want to/don't need to do something like the marine or other true MPFI setup, then they're a good option. otherwise, if you're looking for some kind of increase from swapping out good and working poppets with these, then you'll be disappointed.

FWIW, that site has quite a bit of misinformation in it, as well as the fact that they are gouging people on the price. If you want to install the MPFI spider, do yourself a favor and go elsewhere to get it. most of the time I've seen it for around $300 give or take a little, the $500+ they're charging is highway robbery, plain and simple.

also, contrary to what you may read, the poppet injectors work just fine. I ran mine for 10+ years with no problems (8 of those years in CA where most of the clogging problems were found due to CA specific fuel mixture). the main problem, within the enthusiest communities like ours, with the poppets come from the fact that they are not upgradable, so if you ever need fuel beyond what the 19# injectors can handle, you're SOL with them. and if you get to that point you have to look at other fueling methods such as the marine or other true MPFI setup with real external and upgradable injectors, or something else that can handle your fueling needs.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow, I was checking out other stuff on their site, seriously, don't send them any money.

they are selling the old style rochester fat body injectors for over $170 A PIECE! (thats over $1300 for 8 injectors) good Lord...not only are those injectors some of the worst and most non-linear ones I've ever worked with, but that price is probably the one of the highest prices for an individual stock flowing injector I've seen.

just to give you an idea of how bad it is, those injectors they they're selling for +$170 a piece, were designed in the 80's, they're stock V6 injectors that flow around 24# IIRC. by today's standards they're considered to have some of the worst flow and response characteristics. by contrast, the injectors I'm running are 42# EV6 injectors, with an extremely high build quality and design, they are extremely linear and reliable in their flow and behavior. mine were about $40 a piece.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
JEEZ! I sell those for about 450 WITH TAX for the V8 kit and that's at the GM dealer. It's not full list price at least, but it is pretty high.

Last edited:

RGV2DRHOE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys really appreciate the input. My truck has had a rough idle since i bought her dispite a full tune up and 2 sea foams so i figured this was the next step. I originally wanted to do a ram jet MPFI but didnt wanna break the bank, but looks like Im just gonna need to save up. This is what i was looking at originally http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12498032/

bai78

Surviving...
Reaction score
Don't waste your $$$ & save up for what you really want. It may be tough, but well worth the wait.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your $$$ & save up for what you really want. It may be tough, but well worth the wait.

I agree, the ramjet is pretty nice, but it'll take some work for it to work properly. if you absolutely want to do the MPFI spider, you can get the OEM delphi V8 one from rock auto for under $300.

Last edited:

RGV2DRHOE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree, the ramjet is pretty nice, but it'll take some work for it to work properly. if you absolutely want to do the MPFI spider, you can get the OEM delphi V8 one from rock auto for under $300.

Just out of curiousity what kinda work are you talking about I was under the impression it was just as simple as bolting in and getting it tuned and go. How wrong am I? lol

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity what kinda work are you talking about I was under the impression it was just as simple as bolting in and getting it tuned and go. How wrong am I? lol

moderately. I've not worked specifically on the ramjet itself, but I do have a fully custom MPFI setup on my truck and have done alot of the same stuff for mine, if you really want to go for the ramjet, there is a member here named 'lextech' who is running one, he'd probably be able to help with alot of the nitty gritty specifics more than I would.

the Ramjet is made to bolt on to vortec heads, but its not specifically made for a L31/L30 engine or a GMT400 so you've got to do some stuff to make it work with what you've got. off the top of my head I can think of a few:
-fabrication of fuel lines/regulator mounting/placement to mate the stock system to the ramjet,
-fabrication of intake air tubing to meet the new TB (and depending on how you route the intake tubing, you may need to do some wiring and alterations for the MAF sensor),
-since the ramjet is not setup for EGR and has no EGR return port, you'll need to find a way to block that off on your exhaust manifold,
-you'll need to figure out a way to route the TB cabling properly,
-you'll need to figure out mounting/wiring and such for the ignition module and coil,
-you'll also need to likely address distributor issues since the vortec isn't like the older HEI setups, and the distributor actually houses the cam position sensor, so you'd likely need to keep a vortec dist in there, and things may get crowded with the vortec crab cap distributor with the fuel rails and the size of the ramjet,
-you'll need to work on the wiring for the TPS and IAC to reach the new TB placement,
-I don't know if the ramjet is ported for a vacuum port to feed the brake booster or not so you might have to add that,
-I'm also not sure about how its ported for coolant flow and such, you may need to do something there,
-I wouldn't be personally happy with a mail order tune for a major intake change like this, you'd really want to do something in-person, like a dyno tune, or better yet, tune it yourself. this kind of thing will change things like your volumetric efficiency tables, transient fueling, and such, I'm really **** about my tune so maybe its just my OCD kicking in, but even so, I'd suggest nothing less than an in-person tune of some kind by someone who knows how to tune GM vehicles very well.
-you'd need to fabricate new routing, porting, and mounting of the EVAP stuff,
-there are alot of little things that are mounted to the intake manifold, like harness loom holders, so you'd likely have issues with stuff like that to address,
-you'd need to splice into the stock harness to add the new external injector connectors

I'm probably missing some stuff too, I know it kindof sounds like alot, but depending on how comfortable you are with minor wiring, and some light metal work, it really shouldn't be too bad with a little creativity, but its not just a 'bolt on and go' type of mod.

with all the specific stuff you'd likely need to do, you'd probably be better off not getting the ramjet 'kit' but rather the bare manifold, and piecing the correct parts together for your setup. it would probably cost less that way too and you'd get a better setup, for example, this is just personal preference, but the injectors that come with that kit SUCK (they're like the ones that company is selling for $170 each), I'd get something better if I were you.

I'd still recommend the ramjet over the upgraded spider any day of the week, but there are circumstances where the spider is a good choice too, it just comes down to what your goals and plans are.