My new to me, Corvette.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Congrats, you're gonna love it! C3 Corvettes are my favorite in terms of classic drivers. All-out looks I think the very late C1's are the best, particularly the quad lamp 1958-1962 models. If I could afford to build say a 1958-1960 on a modern chassis that would be the ticket..

I had a beat-to-crap 1980 L82/auto white/tan that was cheap and mostly fun, but a junkpile that I saw no future in spending a bunch of money bringing it up to shape.

A few years later I upgraded to an absolutely gorgeous 1969 L46/4 speed silver/black. Wish I still had that car, but it was so nice I was afraid to drive it much! It was fun around the twisty, hilly roads around Atlanta, where I lived at the time.

People say the C3's "drive like a truck" but to me they drive more like, oh, a modern sport truck that has some suspension upgrades. It's not like muscling an Apache around the curves.. I think the people saying that were some later-model snobs. ;) lol

Richard

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats, you're gonna love it! C3 Corvettes are my favorite in terms of classic drivers. All-out looks I think the very late C1's are the best, particularly the quad lamp 1958-1962 models. If I could afford to build say a 1958-1960 on a modern chassis that would be the ticket..

I had a beat-to-crap 1980 L82/auto white/tan that was cheap and mostly fun, but a junkpile that I saw no future in spending a bunch of money bringing it up to shape.

A few years later I upgraded to an absolutely gorgeous 1969 L46/4 speed silver/black. Wish I still had that car, but it was so nice I was afraid to drive it much! It was fun around the twisty, hilly roads around Atlanta, where I lived at the time.

People say the C3's "drive like a truck" but to me they drive more like, oh, a modern sport truck that has some suspension upgrades. It's not like muscling an Apache around the curves.. I think the people saying that were some later-model snobs. ;) lol

Richard
Being that the PO was auto crossing the car, and has done a ton of upgrades, it handles like the true sports car, that it is. Coil over shocks, and all new suspension components all the way around. The PO has a lot of time and money tied up in the car. Then, his wife got pregnant, so the toy had to go. Bad for him, grate for me. All new interior, vintage air, a ton of engine mods, ECT, ECT. I don't think, I could have found a better car for me, anywhere, and it was a fair price too. The timing was perfect.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Oh Wow! That's a nice C3 . . . my favorite model by far! It's the one I remember growing up in the '70s. However, the C4 came out my sophomore year of HS. After our son gets out of college next year, my wife already knows that I'll be in the market for a C3-C4. Thankfully, she's on board or at least she says she is. :) Congrats on the nice ride! You'll certainly enjoy it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way @PlayingWithTBI , what oil are you using with that flat tappet cam. That's what is in my Vette.
1st of all - congrats, ought to be a fun ride.

As far as the flat tappet cam, that was 2 cams and a short block ago, ha ha. I went roller since then. Is yours a solid or hydraulic lifter cam? Back when I was running solid lifters I ran Valvoline 50w but, that was before they phased out ZDDP. On my truck I ran European spec Mobil1 0w-40, it has a little more Zinc and Phosphorus. Any racing oil will have more yet. Honestly, I can't recommend an oil that is guaranteed to keep your cam pristine.

Enjoy the new ride and, knowing you, save a couple bucks for tickets! ;)

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Pick your base stock flavor/brand and add in the ZDDP additive. Or find an off the shelf, I think Summit has a house brand oil with it, Joe Gibbs Driven oil is another, etc.

Edit: Once broken in properly the ZDDP content is not as important. There are plenty of high mile hydraulic flat tappet engines out there running on todays base oils.