My K1500 DD Tow Pig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
13k miles?!?!?!
Your caliper sticking?
Might have something to do with his right foot, given the fact it is cammed and has a Whipple on it. Other than the 2006 Ram eating rear pads (feel like the pads were too small with too much rear bias on that truck), I do not have a vehicle I recall that did not get 50K out of a set of pads.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That is weird, because I am thinking of putting smaller piston wheel cylinders in the Express. The rears have always had premature lockup, kicking the ABS in at speed. It is even worse now with the 13 x 3.5 1-ton brakes with their larger wheel cylinder pistons. I am thinking of putting the stock 1500 rear wheel cylinders into it. Those massive 1-ton shoes have a ton of bite to them. I am not as heavy as a fully loaded up 1-ton and my trailers have brakes.

The HD stuff is absolutely rear biased. My 1500 doesn't have quite the heavy hitting HD stuff out back, just not incompetent rear brakes. The system itself is in the ballpark, the real question is what shoes do I have out back? Whatever they are they came from the pull and pay almost 12 years ago but still aren't used up.

Might have something to do with his right foot, given the fact it is cammed and has a Whipple on it. Other than the 2006 Ram eating rear pads (feel like the pads were too small with too much rear bias on that truck), I do not have a vehicle I recall that did not get 50K out of a set of pads.

Could be a little of column A (momentum and my reliance on a quite willing brake pedal) and column B (crap brake pads unable to endure my needs). The fact remains that the 3 sets of Hawk pads that preceded this garbage never gave me less than 30,000 miles and always gave adequate warning they were gonna take a dump. This completely blindsided me.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The HD stuff is absolutely rear biased. My 1500 doesn't have quite the heavy hitting HD stuff out back, just not incompetent rear brakes. The system itself is in the ballpark, the real question is what shoes do I have out back? Whatever they are they came from the pull and pay almost 12 years ago but still aren't used up.

Could be a little of column A (momentum and my reliance on a quite willing brake pedal) and column B (crap brake pads unable to endure my needs). The fact remains that the 3 sets of Hawk pads that preceded this garbage never gave me less than 30,000 miles and always gave adequate warning they were gonna take a dump. This completely blindsided me.
Yep driving style will do that. I am off the go pedal well in advance and coast alot in DFCO. Sometimes I am not on either pedal for a good 1/2 mile or more. Around town on my normal routes I tend to learn the light cycles and rarely have to come to a complete stop or wait for lights. Its funny to watch people blow around and throw the brakes on at the redlight screeching to a stop as I coast right on by them when it turns green while I am coasting up to it, roll on the go pedal and I am an 1/8 mile in front of them before they get rolling. When I am out of Dallas/Fort Worth on the open back roads and highways or the interstate there have been times I have driven through an entire state without touching the brakes. Really saves on the fuel and the brakes. I am not a tailgater so I do not find myself having to mash the brakes everytime the flow of traffic changes speed 5-10 mph in front of me. I can get 3-4 mpg better out of my mom's Titan than she can when I have taken her on trips in it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So as mentioned I'd ordered brakes on December 20th. I didn't get the last of them until last night. What a fiasco. Well they're on now, and I think we have the cause of their premature death. The caliper pins had to be tapped out with a hammer, they weren't sliding on their own for anyone. They were just caked up with old, nasty grease was all and they cleaned up real nice. The pads came with orings and boots so that all went in with some Hawk synthetic brake grease I had on the shelf. Here's the passenger side.

You must be registered for see images attach

And, ironically, the driver's side whose pins were more difficult to remove.

Wasn't too far behind. The rotors had small heat cracks in them so not worth trying to turn even if they were thick enough. New stuff sure does look nicer than old stuff, I must say.

Here's what blew me away, look at the pile of crap I used to do this! I bet I spent more time getting and putting away tools than I did doing the brakes.

I have yet to go for a test/bedding drive as the battery was too low to start the truck after sitting for 2 weeks waiting for Amazon to get their $h!t together.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I don't mess with turning rotors anymore. Not worth the hassle around here.

Haha, the tool situation looks completely normal too me on a brake job!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well the pads definitely suck less now. I hooked up the trailer yesterday to grab some 16' trim pieces and the brakes got a workout in the process, had them stinking pretty good a couple of times. Unhooked today and the pedal is more responsive. If this is all they have to give, I'd say meh. At least for someone expecting an aggressive pad. I am thinking of trying their shoes out back though. That all needs gone through, it's still the same shoes the diff came with from the junkyard back in 2012. But they do still work.