My GMT800, 2003 RCLB 2500HD Build / Rebuild!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
On today's episode of "Well ****..."

Was leaving the shop after giving the GMC a fresh oil change and tank of gas. Crusing down the highway at 65, late model Infinity SUV infront of my slams on their brakes, apparently there was a car dead stopped in the right lane of the highway.

Guess what doesn't stop as fast as a new SUV? This GMC...

Lady who was stopped in the highway turns off, stops, then immediately flees from the wreck.

Since I hit the Infiniti, I was ruled at fault. Even got a sweet $140 ticket to show for it.

Drove the truck back to the shop after the police report, immediately started tearing it down. Drivers frame horn / weld on bumper bracket took the brunt of the impact.

I'll have to pickup the following for it:

Grille
Bumper assembly
Radiator support
Power Steering Cooler assembly
Driver's side frame mounted bumper bracket (with some frame straightening)
Driver's side headlight mounting bracket.

I'm not going to claim insurance to pay for the truck, as my insurance will likely total this truck and I don't want it to have a salvage title.

You must be registered for see images attach

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Upon further tear down, the driver's side frame stub is all whacked out of shape. Rather than have it on a frame machine, i'm going to cut back and replace with a donor frame and bumper bracket section. I'd feel better welding once, than heating and repeatedly pulling.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Upon further tear down, the driver's side frame stub is all whacked out of shape. Rather than have it on a frame machine, i'm going to cut back and replace with a donor frame and bumper bracket section. I'd feel better welding once, than heating and repeatedly pulling.

Damn that looks like a fortune cookie..... I guess better that it takes the impact so you don't.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn that sucks. At least you've got the resources and skills to fix it. I shudder to think what my insurance would say if I got in a wreck. Luckily I pay full coverage on both trucks and have binders of receipts and paperwork for both trucks.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Damn that sucks. At least you've got the resources and skills to fix it. I shudder to think what my insurance would say if I got in a wreck. Luckily I pay full coverage on both trucks and have binders of receipts and paperwork for both trucks.

This truck has full coverage, too.

I just don't feel like winding up with a salvage title on this truck. So I'll fix it out of pocket.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to, but the Infiniti driver said his wife was already on the phone with the highway patrol.
Oh, I was wondering because you said the Infiniti driver drove away from the scene. I thought you were the one who called police and then they gave you the ticket. Had you called them, that would have doubly-sucked.