My 99 Yukon Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
So I figured I would start a thread on here about my '99 OBS... I did the same thing for my ZR2 on another forum and that thread lasted 7 years because it was a never ending project... I've got a feeling this is going to turn into the same thing.

The day I picked it up in mid December 2012 with a hair over 66,000 miles. Kinda dirty - been pretty much sitting in a garage collecting dust. Only had 4,000 miles put on it in 3 years.
You must be registered for see images attach

One owner, garage kept. Claimed it had a nasty problem with it since it had a miss. Took it home for $3,500. I went ahead and replaced the injectors on the 2 cylinders that it was misfiring on, and still had a misfire... Didn't take long to realize he had placed two of the plug wires back in the wrong spot. :whymewhyme:

Bought some cheapo clear corners for it from eBay... Not the ones I play to keep - but didn't cost much so I'm playin with em.

Off with the running boards and aluminum fender trim... And some clear turn signals.

Navigator center console

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Clear headlights & HID's for high beams (These didn't last long... Ended up putting them in the Grizzly)

Plasti-Dipped Emblems

NNBS GMC Wheels

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Got this Craigslist find from a fella with a very nice lowered 2wd 2 door. Not sure if it goes with the look I'm going for... But for $40, I couldn't pass it up.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
So I finally ran across an OBS Escalade at the salvage yard... Actually, two identical ones right next to eachother.
Grabbed a set of gauges...

And the foglight switch for my future brush guard lights.

Both had center consoles - one was trashed, the other wasn't much better so I grabbed the better of the two. I felt like I needed a tetanus shot after being in that nasty truck.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
[/COLOR]Completely disassembled, stripped with a pressure washer, sprayed with promotor and painted. Also painted the wood insert gloss black for now... But thinking about hydro-dipping all the trim.

Installed the factory Bose sub also... Have to admit I'm pretty impressed how it sounds. I'm glad I didn't trash it.

And the finished product...

I went back to the salvage yard and grabbed the armrest from the other escalade - it wasn't torn at all, just nasty. I've since painted it also for now. Not holding my breath on how well it'll hold up, but it looks perfect until I decide to reupholster it.

I also picked up all 4 woodgrain and leather inserts for the doors... I played around a little bit with the fabric on mine - doesn't look like it's going to be an easy swap. This may sit on the back burner for a few weeks until I get a weekend to do it. I will most likely paint the leather to match with the same paint I used for the console and dip the woodgrain inserts to match whatever I decide to go with on the center console wood.

Back when I was in school I bought a cheap '98 Bonneville to drive back and forth as a gas getter.... On that gen Bonneville they didn't have illuminated window switches - but little LED accent lights that shined down on them. I like playing with stuff like that, so I had grabbed a bunch when I was at the salvage yards a long time ago. I ran across them in my garage and decided to stick a couple in my cupholder. Turned out perfect. Not too bright, just a nice faint glow to the cupholders.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is looking great! Thats a helluva deal on that brushguard! Now only if I can find that kind of deal around where I live, i'd be all over it!

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wanna write a how to on those led accent lights? Thats a great idea. I find the front area a PITA at night when im trying to reach for something in one of the compartments and would like to put one in the dash above that area to illuminate it. I also think the 98-02 Camaros use one of these too to illuminate the window/lock switches