my 98 stepside project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dahead76

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work you have done. Yea, I'm dreading doing the glass work on my rear dually fenders once I put the 22"semi wheels on it.

Reaction score
Get you some Evercoat SMC resin! Stuff soaks the matt waaaay better than regular resin. Also you can't use regular resin on our trucks, Chevy used SMC instead of regular fiberglass. The matt material is the same, but the SMC has a mold release agent made in it. Regular resin will stick to it, but the first time the temperature outside gets hot.... it flakes the normal resin off. The Evercoat SMC resin is made to stick to SMC.. there's also a cheaper brand (believe it's USC) that makes an "All resin" which is also SMC compatible. Other than that, you can use an SMC epoxy which is like a dual caulk tube setup but it's VeRy expensive but the best thing for cracks. And there's also a product called "Marine Tex" which is an epoxy that you mix yourself, it's like super JB Weld...lol. you use it in place of the resin with the matt.. Do Not Use any kind of cleaner, or even Acetone.. I know you're supposed to use acetone on fiberglass work after you sand it, But you can't use anything on SMC. The SMC with absorb it slightly and over time slowly release out on hot days, causing blisters in your paint.
Corvette dealerships had to replace several hoods before because of faulty power steering lines bursting, Itd eat the underside paint and the SMC hood would absorb the fluid.. Many body shops tried several different ways to reuse the hoods, but paint would never stick again. Then learned even acetone can be absorbed by the SMC... best and most reliable way to clean it after sanding on it is simply just blast it clean with air. After you fill in the gap from sectioning the fender, and it's time for some body filler, use something for SMC first on any of the raw exposed SMC... or you can simplify it by getting the area sanded and ready for the body filler, and spray a good coat of Epoxy Primer first. The Epoxy Primer will seal off the exposed SMC.. give it a day or two to fully cure, then sand the primer enough to apply the filler. Just be careful to not re-expose the SMC.
Some dually fenders can be fiberglass, if it's an aftermarket replacement.. the SMC ones will have a greyish marbled looking color when sanded.

Reaction score
Not really an update, but the Sport still has no title.. so, it's probably going to be a heart doner to the Belair..
But my Exs boyfriend had a 95 Z71 that he couldn't get running for a few years.. he said we could have it to give our daughter for her birthday. Changed out the upper half of the TBI and the fuel pump and the 350 is a living beast again! I'm stoked, we're playing as if it's not fixable.. going to see if I can score a gray dash, column, column plastics, speakers and gray seat belts this Wed at the pick n pull.. ima throw my bench seat in it. Then repaint the few panels that have chips/ gouges in the paint. But in all, once those few things are done it'll be a nice *** Z.
Seriously crunch time tho because I've got almost a month before it has to be completed. Fingers crossed I find everything I need!