my 98 stepside project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Finally got them all sanded and ready for painting

You must be registered for see images attach

And epoxy primer going on...

Epoxied...

Then painted black..

Now they sit in the shed till this weekend, then gotta silicone the inside.. and hopefully by next Wednesday they'll be cured and ready for the tires to go back on..
Then were going to put them on the truck.. probably ride a week or two seating the knock offs periodically. THEN finally going to paint the outside lip and bullets synergy green :)

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a fan of spokes but im interested to see how it looks. Don't think i've seen a set on a obs truck.

When I put the tires on my truck I took a harbor freight moving blanket and put it on the face of the rim and taped the edges with a few layers of tape and made like a cover. Then I clamped the rim on the tire machine making sure there was enoiugh blanket and tape between the rim and the tire machine clamp. After mounting the tire I took the cover off and aired the tire up. Never scratched 1 rim doing I this way. Was time consuming but was worth it. Also if you have it aligned tape the lip of the rim with masking tape, a couple of layers, so that the alignment head clamps wont chip the edge of the rim.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I won't be there when the tires get mounted. Hopefully the guy does a good job. But if the lips get scuffed or chipped it won't bother me. That's why I'm waiting to paint the lips green. Also I want to get the bullets firmly seated before I paint them too. Going to paint lips and bullets while they're on the truck to keep from damaging the paint with the bullets wrench. Hopefully be able to get new bullets later, these have three smooth and one freaken diamond. I'm hoping they'll look good. 63 bel air tail lights, bel air font "Sierra" emblems, and planning on tucking the front bumper like they do the muscle cars.. extending the fender down to the bottom of the bumper and giving it a nice edge gap around the bumper. Should be a major pain in the buttocks..Lol
Fingers crossed anyways

Reaction score
Just found one pic of a stepside on wires that's lowered.
Found a couple extended cabs on wires but they look lifted like a donk..

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Not a fan myself, but maybe being black they will tie in better. I just cant get gold and chrome on some 13s out of my head.

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I won't be there when the tires get mounted. Hopefully the guy does a good job. But if the lips get scuffed or chipped it won't bother me. That's why I'm waiting to paint the lips green. Also I want to get the bullets firmly seated before I paint them too. Going to paint lips and bullets while they're on the truck to keep from damaging the paint with the bullets wrench. Hopefully be able to get new bullets later, these have three smooth and one freaken diamond. I'm hoping they'll look good. 63 bel air tail lights, bel air font "Sierra" emblems, and planning on tucking the front bumper like they do the muscle cars.. extending the fender down to the bottom of the bumper and giving it a nice edge gap around the bumper. Should be a major pain in the buttocks..Lol
Fingers crossed anyways

There are some machines that do not touch the rims but I only know of 1 in my area and I live in a big city, so idk if any are around your area. I was lucky enough to be able to mount my own tires and align my own truck so I was able to make sure my stuff didn't get beat up by some idiot.

Spokes don't look bad on that black step side, first one ive seen like that.

Reaction score
Hopefully they will look alright.
Yeah I'm pretty screwed on tire shops around here, the one I'll be using is the only one capable of mounting tires on a wire wheel.. the others either claimed they weren't set up for it, or either couldn't balance them. But on the bright side it's the same place I'd gotten the Boss 18s from a few years back. And they were willing to dismount the tires and remount and balance at a later date without charging an arm and a leg..lol

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think there is a special way to mount/balance wire wheels, sounds like they just didn't want to mess with them.

Did you look into getting the knockoffs powder coated? If I remember right you beat them on with a lead hammer?