My '97 Chevy K1500 "Silver Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Now we are stepping in to 2020 pics. This was taken a few weeks ago. Added some tow mirrors and put some Flowmaster 40 series mufflers on it, so it is true duals now.

You must be registered for see images attach

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
I think I have finally found the graphics that I want for this truck. This truck is from a member on the forum (@Hammer):

100_1717-jpg.183583

Nice and not overdone, I'd probably get it in black to match the bottom. I'll have to see if the vinyl sticker guy can replicate it for me.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Kind of funny you mention the rust forming after driving in the winter. My dad drove my ‘98 through every winter for 12 years with it before he passed away and I drove it for another 6 years before I retired it to summer only. Lots of rocker rot that has to be fixed, but I can’t imagine taking this thing through snow now lol

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Yeah I can't believe how corrosive the salt is getting! Before repainting it, the spot on the driver's side rear wheel well was a super tiny dot. 2 years later it looked like this:

I'm not sure if I really want to see the others.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Welp… everything has changed. I was busy last weekend and I completely stripped most of accessories/addons and made it look close to stock again. In the "stuff that catches my eye" thread, I had explained that I was looking for a different truck because I was getting tired of this one and wanted a truck that was more stock. So my mom and I kinda talked about it, and she just suggested to keep this one and just make it look like the trucks I was looking at, since they were all stock. After thinking on it, I decided to keep it and just make it look more stock.

I am happy with it as of now. It rides great, not much wind noise anymore, it feels lighter and smaller, and it tows a little better. I checked the mpg and I think I gained up to a mile more than before lol (about 13mpg now, 11.5-12 before). I do want to buy some Falken Wildpeak's in a 265/75/16 before the ice/snow falls, and sell the Cooper tires that I have on the truck right now. I am not impressed by these Coopers, the cheap $100 Kenda tires were better than these!

My dad said he was interested in the headache rack for his 96 dually project, since he was in need of one anyway, so it's a win-win. I also ordered up some ICI U-Cut 6"x54" black textured panels for the truck to cover up the missing paint and rust from me removing the stainless panels. Only for a $120 total on Amazon, pretty damn cheap! Plus, they are flexible plastic, so they won’t rust. Should look decent, and should be way easier than painting bedliner.

Here is a picture of the truck now, starting to appreciate these trucks in their (almost) natural form. I really need to get a new driver’s side mirror, the downward tilt on it is bothering me, lol. Definitely doesn't have the off-road coolness factor anymore, but still looks nice without it.

After I got home this afternoon, I removed the vent visors, stainless handles, and bed caps. The steps, flares, and Lund visor are staying; I love that visor way too much. I still need to fix the angle of the steps, since they were from a GMT800. Probably gonna have to heat up the front mounting bolts to get them free and drill new holes to get them more level.

Someday I'd like to buy a rust free GMT400 and make it an ultra 90s off-road build, with the polished aluminum push bar, and a chrome or stainless single/single roll bar (or chrome headache rack) sitting on a 6" lift and 315/75/16s.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Spent about an hour polishing up my rims. My grandpa had a Power Torque 12v polisher that I used on them, damn good tool, so I just had to buy one myself. Ordered some new center caps for the rims as well, came in two days from Amazon, I was very surprised they came that quick since I ordered them on Wednesday. There were two versions of these center caps, I got these ones because they looked so 90s vs. the ones that were on it. The old ones will become my "winter" center caps so these new ones don't get ruined.

Before (the rims are a little dusty):

After:

Also picked up another Lund visor at the j/y today for $25, thinking of putting it on my 98. I am an expert at rust repair, lol: