My '97 Chevy K1500 "Silver Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Had one of my cousins message the guy last night about them, but upon looking deeper on the internet, looks they have a 5” backspace, thought they were 4.5”. So I’ll just keep my current rims.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What don't you like about the Cooper's? I just put a set on my dually. They're better than bald tires and don't squat as much as the Firestones did.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
They weren’t as good in the snow as I hoped them to be. I have the previous gen AT3, maybe Cooper improved their newer gen AT3 LT tires like the ones you got. The ones that I have are also 6 ply, and I would like to get a tire that is 10 ply for the plow. I’m kinda confused as to why the PO got 6 ply tires for a plow truck.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ignorance? 6 plies are OK for a half ton without a plow. Snow traction is still important to me even if it melts in a day.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Got gas today and I was finally able to figure up the mpg. With ethanol-free gas in it, I got around 14 mpg. I was actually surprised to see that number. I was getting around 11-12mpg before. fueleconomy.gov says the truck is rated for 14 city/highway: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/13765.shtml

I did put in ethanol this time, so we'll see what I get next time I fill up.

On another note, my ICI Armor rocker panel trim showed up today, looks fantastic, close to the look of bedliner, but quicker and easier to install. Looks so much better than the trashy peeled off paint.

Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After:

I had also mentioned in the "what did you do to your GMT400 today?" thread, I was going to look at a topper for the truck last night, and ended up buying it. I'll get some pictures in maybe tomorrow. Was in good shape, none of the glass was broken, third brake light works, side sliding windows work and latch works. Did not get a key for the lock, so I'll have to come up with a new lock cylinder or see if someone can make a key for it. Unfortunately, it is red, so I'll have my dad paint it black sometime this summer. I was going to put Raptor liner on it, but he said he has tons of black paint leftover, so I'll just do that instead.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Went on some level B roads this afternoon with my brother. Reminds me of when I bought it, and went cruising on level B's in early 2019 when I was bored.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Went to a j/y today and found some goodies. Finally found a wooden overhead console that I liked (sunglass holders must've been all the rage in the 90s?). It has a radar scanner, two aux switches, two map lights, two sunglass holders, and a square compartment of some-sort. Also grabbed a little wooden slab that was on the jump seat that looked pretty cool, really like the embroidered Eclipse Sport Trucks, going to place that on the transmission hump. My dad had grabbed the door wood trim, mood light wood, and dash bezel wood. And couldn't leave there without snatching two console cup holders! Everything costed $11.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spent about an hour polishing up my rims. My grandpa had a Power Torque 12v polisher that I used on them, damn good tool, so I just had to buy one myself. Ordered some new center caps for the rims as well, came in two days from Amazon, I was very surprised they came that quick since I ordered them on Wednesday. There were two versions of these center caps, I got these ones because they looked so 90s vs. the ones that were on it. The old ones will become my "winter" center caps so these new ones don't get ruined.

Before (the rims are a little dusty):

After:

Also picked up another Lund visor at the j/y today for $25, thinking of putting it on my 98. I am an expert at rust repair, lol:
Thats a stealllll

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Had a tire shop flip my tires to the white letters today. I was wanting to do this for a while since I've been getting bored of black walls and how basic they were looking on the truck. A couple weeks ago I went to Staples and bought some Sharpie white paint pens to redo the white letters since they are an ugly brown and cracked. The pens really rejuvenated them! I was impressed at how much better they looked. Here's a pic of the difference, much betterer: