My 96 k1500 centurion crew cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The truck is unique enough and you plan to tow with it so here's my suggestion:

Box the frame and stick a 6bt in front of that standard trans.

Bitchin' and unique enough to fit it's history.

Ungodly torque and hp is just a few tweaks away.....

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I had the funds to do that believe me I would! :) if I went that route with it tho I would definitely have to go with a set of 8 lug axles. 60&70 or 60&14bolt and that's one of the things that has me scratching my head over this truck.. If I went with a set of axles like those on it does it ruin the uniqueness of it being a half ton crew cab?

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My plan so far has been to go with a ford Dana 44 with 6 lug outers and A 6 lug 14bolt sf.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If I had the funds to do that believe me I would! :) if I went that route with it tho I would definitely have to go with a set of 8 lug axles. 60&70 or 60&14bolt and that's one of the things that has me scratching my head over this truck.. If I went with a set of axles like those on it does it ruin the uniqueness of it being a half ton crew cab?

Heck yeah.

14B FF rear and a D60 front.

Meh, no matter what you do it's still a Centurion conversion. Can't take that away from it.

And it's been beat up enough over it's life that you're not taking any value away from it.

AND, it would be one hellacious tow monster....would punch one heck of a hole in your bank account doing it though.

Better make sure the missus REALLY loves you before you go down that road....:rofl:

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess ile have to see how my budget pans out, definately some good ideas

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well after just driving the truck and fixing little things here and there, I have found 2 cracks in the frame :( .... I pull a car trailer with this truck and it gets the job done, but it leaves me missing having a 3/4 or 1 ton. I am attached to this thing and cannot part with it so I think I'm going to do a frame swap.. Hunt down a junkyard cclb, put my body (except the bed) and drivetrain in it, giving me the heavy truck I need while still having the truck I already had. I considered boxing the frame but that's a lot of work, and a lot more $ than taking 2 to make 1, and this frame is tweaked a bit in the front. Hopefully I can find a frame this summer to prep. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well after just driving the truck and fixing little things here and there, I have found 2 cracks in the frame :( .... I pull a car trailer with this truck and it gets the job done, but it leaves me missing having a 3/4 or 1 ton. I am attached to this thing and cannot part with it so I think I'm going to do a frame swap.. Hunt down a junkyard cclb, put my body (except the bed) and drivetrain in it, giving me the heavy truck I need while still having the truck I already had. I considered boxing the frame but that's a lot of work, and a lot more $ than taking 2 to make 1, and this frame is tweaked a bit in the front. Hopefully I can find a frame this summer to prep. Any input?

Thats sounds like the best way to go theres no sense in trying to fix an already damaged frame your throwig good money after bad find a 3/4 ton frame amd youll have an awesome truck

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the look I'm aiming for
You must be registered for see images attach

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I seen this pic online and it made me want to do the frame swap, gotta love a cclb

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score

Only this: measure your cab mounts before dropping cash on a frame.

There's a high probability that where centurion put the mounts will not line up with an OEM 2500 CCLB frame.

I feel you with wanting to keep as much of the truck as you can, but if it were me I would buy a stock cclb 2500 and turn the centurion in to a parts truck or sell it outright.

I was faced with a similar choice with my 89 eclb. The drive train was a monster, but it needed a new frame (rusted out). By the time I spun the numbers for price and effort, it was cheaper to just sell off what I coukd, scrap the rest and buy a truck in better shape from the get go.

CCLB arent as common as an ECLB, but they're not overly hard to find either....

Last edited: