My '89 Cheyenne DD LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have made a couple of changes since last posting. A problem developed with the Burb' cluster, in that the volt meter started to act really wonkie! First, normal volt readings, then almost 6 volts, then back again. Thought it was the alt. or battery, but they checked fine. So, time for another cluster. Wasn't really partial to the cluster, so chose a W/T style cluster (no tach). I 've liked these all along. Installed it, and all gauges were rock solid in their performance. Drove with this cluster for awhile, but a tach would be nice. I didn't want a large one, or one that required drilling holes anywhere for a tach mount. So, I decided to utilize the space from the left vent grille opening. Ordered a 2 1/16" tach from SpeedHut, cut a piece of ABS panelling to fit the grille opening, after cutting the correct size hole for the tach, mounted and wired the tach and reinstalled the cluster bezel

Attachments

• DSCN0743.JPG
    DSCN0743.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0745.JPG
    DSCN0745.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0746.JPG
    DSCN0746.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0744.JPG
    DSCN0744.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 18

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another little update. I know my speedo is a little optimistic, as it says I'm going faster than I really am. So I wanted to see how far off it was. I have a Garmin GPS that shows speed over land,. It didn't turn on when I plugged the power cord into my lighter socket. Hmmm!!. Pulled the ash tray assy. from the dash, unplugged the element to check for power. Yep, got it. Tried to remove the retaining collar that holds the lighter in the tray assy., and the thing wouldn't budge. Got out the trusty little Dremel with a cut-off wheel, made a cut in the retainer, spread the cut with a screw driver, got the collar off, removed the element from it's hole, and found the element full of corrosion and ash from previous owners(explains the small burn hole in the seat cover). Seeing as how I don't smoke, and the ash tray just fills a hole in the dash, I checked here for USB port info. So, I got me a switchable power port, opened the lighter hole and installed said power port. Plugged in the GPS and found the speedo to be off by 4-5mph (too fast). I can live with that. Just simple math while driving down the road. As far as the lighter goes, well, I guess the next "holder of the keys" can worry about that

Attachments

• DSCN0749.JPG
    DSCN0749.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN0750.JPG
    DSCN0750.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 21

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man, appreciate the kind words. This project has really turned out quite well, once the little kinks were ironed out. It's very dependable, while being really fun to drive. It takes me to the dump, the store, and occasionally a cruise night or even across state to a Fall car show. It's not a "flashy" show piece, and most folks will pass it by without a glance. But "truck" guys do stop and look, and ask lots of questions. Makes all the hard work worthwhile. I'm a 76 yr. old retiree and do all my own work in my garage. So if I can do it, you can too. Just take your time, and not try to do EVERYTHING at once. And, do your homework before you get started. Ask questions when needed, and get dirty. It's fun!!

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have made a couple of changes to the truck since my last update. 1st, I've changed the headlights. I don't often drive at night, but the couple of times I did, the lighting wasn't too impressive to these tired eyes. So, I changed the std. bulbs to a reflector type. The housings are from VisionX. They're glass and DOT approved. The replaceable bulbs are 9003 type bulbs. They should brighten up the countryside a little better, without going to laser beam HID's or LED's. 2nd, I've changed the radiator cooling fan control from PWM to PCM control. The PWM controller (from Autocool Guy) worked as designed, but caused the brushless fan motors to loudly buzz, even with the supposed fix (an additional component from the same Autocool Guy). The controller worked as designed, but the buzzing was annoying. even in the cab. When the wife asked what "That Noise" was, I knew it was time to make a change. So, with GM schematics in hand, and enough relays in my parts stash, I mimic'd what the engineers had created for the later model trucks with electric fans. I had to add 2 wires to the PCM for fan control. The PCM had been programmed to turn on the fans by the tuner when he had set the PCM for me, and it uses the factory temp, settings ( the '02 truck PCM that I have originally didn't have fan control as those early year trucks used mechanical fans). I let the truck idle while I pulled off the grill to change headlight buckets, adjusting screws and bulbs. During that time, the PCM had turned on the fans (both at low speed) and I never even heard them. It never got hot enough to turn the fans on high. So far, I'm very pleased with the results.

Attachments

• DSCN0766.JPG
    DSCN0766.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0767.JPG
    DSCN0767.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0768.JPG
    DSCN0768.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 10