Preparing to Build My First LS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyP2448

Reaction score
As the title says, I am preparing to build my first LS motor. I have taken apart many of them and put them together, so I know what to expect for the most part. What's the most horsepower people have seen on the stock bottom end components. I have seen boosted lifestyle on YouTube build a stock bottom ended 5.3 with upgraded top end make 600 plus horsepower but I do not have the resources local to me to weld and do a custom turbo build. I know getting 450 is pretty simple with some upgrades but for you guys and gals with a little experience, what would you say would be the best route to go if I am avoiding a turbo build.

I am not trying to build a drag truck here. I like going in circles on the dirt more than a straight line. I do, however, what something that when I press the gas pedal it will let someone know that it's not cheap.

I also want to build this engine, so I am not looking to buy a prebuilt.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the most horsepower people have seen on the stock bottom end components.
On Engine Masters, IIRC they got over 800 HP with boost, and figured they could have gone over 1000 but didn't wanna grenade it. I've heard others have gone over 1000 so, 450 isn't too much to expect. YMMV