My 88 Silverado. Project- Bag the truck lol.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still searching for this leak... really starting to piss me off.. I have sprayed and sprayed it with soapy water and have yet to find a leak. I know it sounds easy.. I am usually good at finding leaks, but this ******* has been hard to find.. I have checked the pressure switch, my air gauge on the tank, both plugs on the tank, drain on tank, traced everything back to the point where the pressure of the tank is on and cannot for the life of me find it. I am beginning to wonder if the tank has a small hole in it.. the tank does have some age to it.. I cannot seem to find it. Needed to vent a little bit. lol One of the worst things I hate more than anything about a bagged truck is walk out there and hit a switch and nothing happens because the tank is empty. It goes from 1145 psi.. close down to the 50 psi range in 10-12 hours which is pathetic. It seems like a leak that bad you would be able to find, but I cannot. I have my check valves after my water traps so I can open my drains on my water traps to see if the check valves are leaking and there not. I have sprayed and sprayed and sprayed for weeks now with no luck. I have not had a chance to take my bed back off to get a really good look at it and it is driving me crazy!!! I got the next 3 days off and I have to spend them 2 hours away from home.... ugh.. dumb... lol

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
have you checked the check valves right off the pumps? thats where i had my mysterious leak that drained my tank very similar to that! it really pissed me off for awhile to! i must have sprayed every fitting about a dozen times or so. hell check valves dont blow bubbles! they leak back into the pumps head and leaks back out that way! its the ninja leak!
remove the check valve or valves off your leader hoses and blow thru them both ways. it should only blow one way. if it leaks alittle youll know thats the problem!
its suposedly a real problem with the viair check valves from people over tigthening them it wont let the ball seat properly. hell i went thru 3 of them and i know i didnt overtigthen mine! i switched to easystreet check valves. they are a hell of alot beefier! they flow alot more air as well! im still very happy with them. just sucked buying 2 of them since they like 30bucks or so a pop. but it was worth not having that frustrating leak overnight for dam sure!

and if you still cannt find the leak do drastic and slap a heavy duty shut off valve on the tanks line and plug all the other ports just leave a gauge on it and test overnight next time you have a weekend off

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it has to be a check valve issue even though I have two brand new check valves.. one bieng from napa check valve and the other being a smc check valve.. I already had one sticking wide open, but On monday last week.. I parked truck in garage until I got home on Wed.. tank did not loose a drop of air. I let it sit until sat morning with still not a drop of air leaking.. Saturday night I decided to take it out and let the comps kick on.. well on sunday morning the tank drained itself again so it makes me to believe that the check valves are sticking open. Like I have said before.. anytime I air the tank completely up.. I can unscrew my water traps and no air seeps out of them so it is a very mysterious leak... lol drives me nuts. Thinking about buying another napa check valve because they seem to be very stiff check valves inside when u try to blow them open. I have used them before with good luck!

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something i forgot to mention is i am not running the viair leader hoses. Just weird to me that the truck will sit for days sometimes and will not lose a drop of air until the compressors kick on.. Then that next day the tank will be empty. I need to take one side apart and plug it and see what happens. Irritating though. I cannot find it by spraying it and both check valves are new

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you guys see any issue with how I have this set up?
You must be registered for see images attach

I aired my truck up to full extent and let tank build up to pressure and shut off.. then I bled off the water traps with the pressure that is in them from comps. Truck has stayed aired up since I have been at work. You guys think that with where I have my water traps that it is causing an issue with my check valves?

EDIT** from reading around.. seems it is better to run them this way.. wish I could figure out this random leak.. lol ugh..

Last edited:

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
i myself would use the leader hoses instead. they are made to handle the heat these pumps put off and then the check valve. and SMC isnt a HOT SIDE check valve! its just a piece of plastic and ruber seal. that can distort with the heat! you need to get a good steel check valve and leader hose right off the pumps.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well not a whole lot been going on besides stripping out the parts truck I bought. lol I finally got my leak fixed. It ended up being a BRAND NEW smc check valve leaking. Soo I am done with SMC check valves. Update though.. Got my new bed all butchered out and ready to go lol. Check it out>

Hoping to have it put on by beginning of next week since I work all weekend. I also got me a set of bag cups today in the mail! So hoping to get started on the front sometime soon too.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well not a whole lot been going on besides stripping out the parts truck I bought. lol I finally got my leak fixed. It ended up being a BRAND NEW smc check valve leaking. Soo I am done with SMC check valves. Update though.. Got my new bed all butchered out and ready to go lol. Check it out>

Hoping to have it put on by beginning of next week since I work all weekend. I also got me a set of bag cups today in the mail! So hoping to get started on the front sometime soon too.

Looking great man!