My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since you’re using Roller Rockers, will you need to use taller valve covers? If so, won’t the passenger side valve cover hit the throttle body?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it all fits under the valve covers.
I used Crower short poly locks. I did have a friend shave .090 off the 8 intake locks thou to get .050 clearance with the valve covers.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out this short video i just uploaded to youtube.
What do you think that sound is?
You can only hear it with the oil cap off. Engine sounds fine with the cap on.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that if it passed a leak down test the heads should be fine and no need to take them off so do not need new head gaskets.
Anyone know the installed hight of stock valve springs?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From reading it seems there is a possibility of the valve spring retainers hitting the roller rockers the stock springs are a beehive style so have plenty of clearance.
So with that in mind i ordered the beehive spring setup
The stock valve spring hight from the manual is 1.838 to 1.869 with rotator eliminators that are reported to be 0.300 thick.
The beehive springs have a installed hight of 1.880 from my notes i had measured 1.875 with .300 rotator eliminators.
Using Comps valve spring chart installed at 1.875 the closed seat pressure should be around low 150lbs and should be acceptable per comp cams install notes as fallows.

2. Once you have determined the shortest installed height, it will be necessary to use shims to obtain this height (±.020” is acceptable) on the remaining valves. These are available through our catalog or at any of your local COMP Cams® dealers.

So from what i gather from reading and vids these springs are pretty much a drop in replacement for stock springs but i did order the +0 and +50 retainer locks

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone told me that noise is a dry rocker because the lifter is not pushing oil up to the rocker arm. Find out next weekend.
Plan is getting it back friday afternoon from the shop and bring it home and start tearing it apart for the new cam, lifters, valve springs and put my roller rockers back on.
Only part i kinda dread is taking the oil pan loose. Laying underneath in the dirt is a drag!