My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is around .520/.530 with no modifications.
Well that's promising; you did the cam and springs right? I'm waiting for an oil analysis to get back now on my truck that'll be the deciding factor on if I swap a cam in the current engine or hold off and build one to swap in.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well that's promising; you did the cam and springs right? I'm waiting for an oil analysis to get back now on my truck that'll be the deciding factor on if I swap a cam in the current engine or hold off and build one to swap in.

Cam, springs, and adjustable valvetrain conversion.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what i understand the max lift varies from head to head so my thinking is ill order the tool, If i have it and need it great, if i don't need it i can pass it along to someone here as a pay it forward gesture.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My experience is. I used the xr270 cam with .510 lift, 911 springs, and 4514-k adjustable rocker conversion kit. The 270 cam is great power over stock, starts coming on really strong at 3000 rpm, great for highway passing and towing. Any cam over stock will require some tuning, Black Bear handled it . There was plenty of clearance for the rotator eliminators, springs, and retainers without machining to get 1.890 installed height, no bind, and clear the seals. The comp roller lifters were crap, swapped in GM perf rollers. Another comp cams failure was the rocker conversion 4514 kit, that retains stock rockers and balls. The rocker ball sleeve has .060 thick walls and .510 lift caused the stock rockers to contact the sleeves on the rocker studs. Instead just use the 3/8 x 7/16 studs with the 1411 roller tip rockers and balls, plenty of clearance for the rockers and studs. Just my experience.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the adjustable valvetrain installed but removed it trouble shooting for stock setup.
I have the conversation studs, full roller rockers and crower short poly locks.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
“Yikes! How's you discover that? Doesn't look like the lifter preload was affected.”

the exhaust valve on #2 always had a more noticeable tap, sounded like a weak or broken spring. Found this while investigating that. Used a curved pick and found most rocker ball sleeves in that kit had next to no clearance when the valves were at full lift. Replaced that spring, all the rockers and balls, checked that valve and rocker stud for straightness, reset all lash EOIC. Still that valve has a tap when I listen with a stethoscope on the exhaust side of the head

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had these mounted up for about 2 weeks. Removed them trouble shooting. Plan on re installing them here in a month or so.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't want a cam I need to tune for.
I don't know if the zz cam would work with out a tune.
Any cam "should" be tuned for, but since fueling is primarily done with MAF, and fuel trims are fast to correct AFR, as long as it's a low or mid cam without a lot of overlap, it should still work ok on stock tune. It's not hard to dial in a VE table though.