My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll figure something out.
Maybe tape. Don't think I can find labels soon enough.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh nice,I'll look there.
Can't wait till after the 21st so I can move on to more fun stuff!.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got crank relearn done.
Seems to have helped somewhat. I'll keep messing with it till the 21st when it goes into a professional shop in case i happen to accidentally figure it out.
Checked every wire for proper color and corresponding pin location. I just can not ring out everyone, but some i did that i tought were the important ones. Once i figured out how to read a multimeter better anyway. All fuses are good.
All injector wires are the proper color in the proper pin location.
All sensor wires are proper color and pin location.
All ground wires are in the proper location and color.
All power wires are proper location, Switched and constant.
o2 sensor wires are proper color and pin location.
The Purge canister solenoid is wired correctly as well as the AC clutch. I was not using the multimeter correctly.
There are no extra wires but my pin out sheet says on C2 pin 2 i should have a white wire for a "Canister Vent Solenoid" and i don't have one.
Maybe a big problem though is the ground at C3 pin 19, circuit 470.
I tried the ringer setting and ohm setting and could not get any reading at all that it's connected to anything?
The other thing i have noticed and never thought to mention has to do with fuel trims.
Not the exact numbers but examples.
Let's say my STFT is reading 0 and LTFT is -20 just holding a steady speed.
When i let off the throttle the fuel trims will usually immediately switch to STFT -20 and LTFT 0 until i come to a stop then they will switch back to the normal way.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if im reading the manual right C3 pin 19 provides the ground for circuit 470?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More weirdness.
If i have the heat/ac/defrost turned off with the ac clutch power wire going to ground when i rev it up the 10A fuse blows.
There should be 0 power on that wire at all times unless i turn on the ac, im pretty sure.
Looking at manual 4 page 6-2702 i can't see a thing that would cause this situation but i am not a auto electrician.
I can not find the picture in the manuals showing ground location again but the one i did see showed 2 ground wires at the back of the engine.
I have looked pretty good and all i can find is 1 ground wire hooked up. Did not see any loose wires. Is there supposed to be 2?

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine has one braided ground wire between frame and back of head on the passenger side. there is a solid ground on same side on bottom front of block

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might think it is wrong wiring at the ecu causing this but i don't think so. Here's why.
The old engine ran perfect with no misfires (had no oil pressure) with a 0411 ecu i had installed a few months earlier. AC was working fine with the 0411.
Installed new engine and problem from the start with the same 0411 that ran fine on old engine.
Now i have discovered a electrical problem. It acts the same with the 0411 or black box.
My theory is and im not professional by any stretch of the imagination!
A couple possibilities would be
Stray voltage from something is telling the ecu it is burning rich causing it to reduce fuel? All sensors are reading normal though.
Ground resistance causing the ecu to not see what is reported properly?
Missed ground someplace i can't find allowing a back feed situation?

We know the AC clutch is getting power that is RPM dependent when it should not. I'll go do some more checking on that and report better observations.