Multifunction Lever Wiring - correct routing on '94 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom_h

Reaction score
Recently I had a local independent repair shop do some work on the steering column of my 1994 Chevy K1500 Blazer. I also gave them a new GM Multifunction Lever to install. I am pretty sure they messed up the lever install.

In the picture below is a photo of the left side of my steering column, with the plastic cover plate removed. Also shown is the diagram from the '94 GM OEM service manual.

Note how the shop routed the wire in the gap, where the tilt column swivels. That CAN'T be right. In fact, if the column were to be tilted a few clicks down, the sharp metal edges would short out or sever the wire cable completely
:-(

The GM diagram shows an external connector, but I'm not sure that's applicable, either.

What is the right way to install that cable?

I'd be especially grateful for a picture I could show to the shop, and have them "own" problem.
TIA.
You must be registered for see images attach

tom_h

Reaction score
Well, I found a 69 page instruction guide to rebuilding a mid-1980s GM tilt column, with dozens of pictures.
There seems to be a lot of similarity to the 1994 and earlier truck steering columns, so I'll see if it helps me.
www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

I did some partial disassembly of my column to get a better look, removing the tilt lever housing and a plastic "follower" that engages and actuates the long rod for the Hi/Lo headlight beam switch.

Looks like it will be one BIG PITA to get that "follower" reinstalled -- I fumbled a lot and finally stopped because it was getting too dark to see. That steering column, with all its plastic parts, seems one of the most complicated assemblies in the truck.

tom_h

Reaction score
OK, got it figured out using that 69-page guide! :)
Very helpful resource, as it has a lot of similarity to 1994 & earlier GMT400 trucks.

Reinstalling the plastic "follower" for the hi beam pushrod was perhaps the trickiest part, bt not too bad, about 5 minutes of fumbling. Install follower first, then snap plastic cover over it, taking care to engeage the slot on follower, with the guide pin on the cover.