Moon Gauge Speedo with T56

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjferreira

Reaction score
Hi All,

This winter I'll be doing a T56 swap on my 89 C1500 that currently has a 700R4. Does anyone know what's needed to get a moon gauge speedometer to work with a t56 from a 94 Camaro? Any help is appreciated.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check how the VSS signal is sent on the Camaro trans. Your truck will most likely have a Hall Effect (magnetic pick-up/reluctor wheel) driven signal, whereas the Camaro trans. may have a gear driven VSS. I found this out when discovering the speedo didn't work in my newly purchased '89 Cheyenne. I was getting a signal to the cluster, but it wasn't what the cluster wanted to see. The previous owner had replaced the trans. with a boneyard unit from a '92 Firebird. If you already have the T56, just pull out the VSS and check to see if it's gear driven. If it is, you can remove the drive gear from the output shaft, and replace it with a reluctor wheel (about $12 for the wheel). It's tricky to do, but can be done

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hall effect VSS and magnetic pick up VSS are two completely different animals. Your 700R4 uses the magnetic pickup and a 40 tooth magnetic reluctor wheel. The NV3500 and NV4500 uses the 40 tooth MP wheel so I'm guessing the T56 does also. The way to tell the difference between HE and MP is the number of wires the sensor has,3 for HE,2 for MP. If your T56 VSS has three wires or terminals then you will have to change the wheels.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
94 T56 will have a 40k PPM pickup, I'm not sure what the 89 had?
Well,your info wasn't correct either. If it has the magnetic 40 tooth wheel then it's 40 PPR(pulses per revolution). PPM(pulses per mile)will be determined by the rear axle ratio and tire circumference. For example my truck has 90" of tire and a 3.08 gear,my VSS is putting out 86,732.8 PPM.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well,your info wasn't correct either. If it has the magnetic 40 tooth wheel then it's 40 PPR(pulses per revolution). PPM(pulses per mile)will be determined by the rear axle ratio and tire circumference. For example my truck has 90" of tire and a 3.08 gear,my VSS is putting out 86,732.8 PPM.

It becomes 40k ppm when you tell the PCM what rear end and tire size you have. It's 40k PPM.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM calls it a 40k PPM reluctor and it has 17 teeth. Period. I'm unaware of anything made by Tremec to change that, perhaps Dakota or some other aftermarket company makes something?
OK,I get it now,it only has 17 teeth.

He's gonna need a 40 tooth wheel so his speedo is right. The VSS goes directly to the instrument panel on his truck,that's where the VSSB is. It comes out of the IP and feeds 2000 PPM to his ECM,4000 PPM to his cruise control(if he's got it) and 128,000 PPM to the RWAL brake module.