Metal dash replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMS91

Reaction score
I decided replace the old craked dash in my 91 with a custom metal one. I was wondering if any one has build one,if so what is the best way to go about building one, or if any one knows a company that builds them?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've thought about this multiple times. Interested to see what you find out.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd think anybody who was good at custom fab could build one that LOOKS like the 88-91 dash. That would be trick. :) Likely cost you a fortune to pay someone else to do it, but hey...

Richard

AMS91

Reaction score
It doesn't have to look like the 88 -91 style dash, and i wouldn't mind trying to make it my self it is somthing nobody has tried to do yet.:)

Last edited:

AMS91

Reaction score
It doesn't have to look like the 88 -91 style dash, and i wouldn't mind trying to make it my self it is something nobody has tried to do yet.:)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh there's been a few custom dashes made, but the styling behind them may be inspired by different tastes than what someone else is looking for. The guy that put a 4-53 Detroit in his bagged C1500 made a very boxy steel custom dash. Starts to come into view around 0:49 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw1EJ33yzhs

I think a near-copy of the original dash would be kickass. But it's definitely beyond my skill level, and my fab buddy moved way out of state a while back.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Someone start making these and get rich! Take my money!

AMS91

Reaction score
Oh there's been a few custom dashes made, but the styling behind them may be inspired by different tastes than what someone else is looking for. The guy that put a 4-53 Detroit in his bagged C1500 made a very boxy steel custom dash. Starts to come into view around 0:49 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw1EJ33yzhs

I think a near-copy of the original dash would be kickass. But it's definitely beyond my skill level, and my fab buddy moved way out of state a while back.

Richard

That actuly does not look to difficult to make. I'm not going to do my guages in a row like that, but it givs me some ideas. I was thinking of using a digital guage cluster from Race Pack since im doing an LS swap.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have been thinking about making my own dash for some time now. There would be a lot of work involved. After fabing and welding for 10 hours a day 5 days a week, It is hard to bring my self to make one. Mine has a cover on it, and it doesn't look bad, so for now I just don't have the energy. Mine isn't cracked bad ether. If I do ever build one it will be aluminum. I have seen several fiberglass covered dashes on GMT 400.

AMS91

Reaction score
True it will be a lot of work, i figure if i just keep it simple is should be easier as im going to end up building this out of my garage, and am not very skilled in fabricating.