Manifold leak. New gaskets or...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a pretty annoying *exhaust* manifold leak from the drivers side, middle two cylinders somewhere.

Should I pull it and try new gaskets or just go ahead and replace the whole thing? I just don't want to pull it and realize it's cracked or something.

Also, I need to drop the y-pipe so I can access the flexplate and see if it's cracked or just loose (It makes a bad rattle sound). So I just need new donut gaskets for the y-pipe correct?
Anything else I'll need for the job?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Hey Bud, I have changed the intake manifold gasket before.

I used felpro gaskets and grey rtv from permex I think. The front and rear of the valley will have these stupid rubber gaskets in the kit, don't use them just put a big bead of rtv there instead.

Clean the surfaces with a razor blade and rubbing alcohol. Don't spill or drop anything down the intake holes. You might find the egr is completely sealed shut with carbon, easy off oven cleaner works to clean the manifold.

mark the distributor very very well so you don't have a no start issue driving you nuts after.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Bud, I have changed the intake manifold gasket before.

I used felpro gaskets and grey rtv from permex I think. The front and rear of the valley will have these stupid rubber gaskets in the kit, don't use them just put a big bead of rtv there instead.

Clean the surfaces with a razor blade and rubbing alcohol. Don't spill or drop anything down the intake holes. You might find the egr is completely sealed shut with carbon, easy off oven cleaner works to clean the manifold.

mark the distributor very very well so you don't have a no start issue driving you nuts after.
Thanks for that!
Haha I just realized I never specified which manifold, and I meant exhaust! I'll save this though, since I'm sure it could use intake gaskets too.
Any advice for my exhaust manifold leak?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've always just had my mechanic do manifold/header gaskets, so I can't offer much info on the process itself. One thing I have found out through experience though... I'd stick with standard gaskets like Fel-Pro. I used SCE copper gaskets initially when I switched to shorty headers on my red truck. Re-torqued them every week or so after install just like the instructions said, and they still developed leaks. Switched to Fel-Pro and they've been fine ever since.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
First you need to get under the truck and determine where its leaking.....might be a gasket, manifold might be cracked. Taking the manifold off at the engine will tell you quick enough whats wrong

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First you need to get under the truck and determine where its leaking.....might be a gasket, manifold might be cracked. Taking the manifold off at the engine will tell you quick enough whats wrong
Yeah I can hear it coming from the drivers side manifold, by the middle two cylinders.
I just don't want to remove to realize its cracked and stuck like that, it's my DD.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just order a driver side manifold and a steel gasket n THEN fiddle with it I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
My buddy tells me that on a truck like mine (330k engine) that if i were to take the manifolds off there is a good chance i will snap a bolt off and have to drill it out and re thread. Not really something i enjoy doing! Might be worth having a shop pull them just to save the headache.