Making a 454SS gauge cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've gone 147mph on gps in my 454SS - once & 120-130mph many times, but anything faster than 130mph really sucks. It sounded like it was trying to peel the doors open from the wind noise. Without some serious braking system, these trucks would take forever to stop from that speed. Not trying to sound like an old man, but why bother making the speedo go to 110 when you could use your cell phone (or a GPS unit) to see how fast you go over 85 or 110. The aftermarket makes GPS speedos too.

Remember these are pickup trucks, not sports cars.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

While your point is legit, I modded mine with the intent and tend to drive it a little bit like a sports car. But yeah...when I really wanna go fast, I get in something that was made for it. :gr_grin:

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've gone 147mph on gps in my 454SS - once & 120-130mph many times, but anything faster than 130mph really sucks. It sounded like it was trying to peel the doors open from the wind noise. Without some serious braking system, these trucks would take forever to stop from that speed. Not trying to sound like an old man, but why bother making the speedo go to 110 when you could use your cell phone (or a GPS unit) to see how fast you go over 85 or 110. The aftermarket makes GPS speedos too.

Geez geezer! Just kidding, I agree with you but I would truly love to see what my speedo shows at the end of the strip.I have also considered going back to the salt flats...

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't matter what they are, what matters is how you drive 'em! Lol I agree, this is not necessary, and there are easier ways. But the way I see it, if you can have a higher speed on the cluster, why not?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree that it's really not a necessity. But so many things we do to our trucks are not necessary. I don't need electric mirrors. I'm the only one who will drive it, and once I set the mirrors, they won't move. It's just the joy of fabricating. Of having something unique. You can bet having a 180MPH speedo would be cool til everyone did it.

Last edited:

BigCE

Reaction score
I've gone 147mph on gps in my 454SS - once & 120-130mph many times

Dang I thought I had mine wound up at 136mph, guess I need more gears like yours. I agree anything past about 120 feels like its going to blow apart, I thought for sure the windshield wipers were coming off.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang I thought I had mine wound up at 136mph, guess I need more gears like yours. I agree anything past about 120 feels like its going to blow apart, I thought for sure the windshield wipers were coming off.

I don't have wipers LOL.